Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I was wondering what size jets you have to use in a 77 gl1000 carb when they say you have to rejet for for a different muffler. thanks

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

I did that to my '77 while still fairly new, and I didn't have to re-jet at that time. But, each muffler design presents a specific environment to an engines design. Some are more or less free-flowing, some actually tend to "pull" subsequent exhaust pulses out behind the previous pulses...some create excessive back-pressure...

Plus, I'm pretty sure that either the dealers or Honda themselves will jet the new carbs according to the altitude, temp & humdity inherent to a market region. For example, Hondas destined for sale in Switzerland might require different jetting/timing than say, central Texas...

What I would do is to go for a typical day-run, and then pull your plugs and note the color & condition of them, and your fuel mileage for the day. If all is well, make your muffler changes and make another similar day-run. Note if performance has changed, the plug color(s) and fuel mileage for that day. If you believe something changed, and you want to fix it, present the details and changes to the GURUs here, and/or to your favorite mechanic and see what is recommended.

You will need to know your present jet sizes, in all of the carburetor's "stages" (not sure what or how many there are on GL1000 CV carbs, but there may be the idle, low end, mid-range & top end, for example), and whether they will all need attention, or just one or two, and whether to go 'richer' or 'leaner' ...the needle jets (main jets) that work directly with the CV slides are match-numbered and should be changed as "sets". :waving:

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

I wouldn't rejet at all until I seen how the old girl performs with the new mufflers.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Roger that. Ever take the carbs apart on an early GW? Ouch. Just see how it runs first.

I had to rejet on my 94 Magna using Cobra pipes. Stock jets made it run herky jerky with lots of flat spots in the torque curve.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.