Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Jus tho whard would it be to replace the stator without pulling the motor off the bike. this is on the 1100. Can it be done by removing the rear wheel and swing arm? Would the tank have to come out?

Actually sitting here typign and thining about it I believe I've answered my own question...motor has to come out.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've changed one on an 1100 and don't think it could be done with the engine on the bike. That's the bad news. The good news is pulling the engine isn't all that hard. If you have the new stator and gaskets the change can be done in a day.It will help a lot if you have a floor jack or a bike jack. With those it's one heck of a lot easier than manuevering the engine about and getting it clear of the frame. All you really have to do is get the engine out enough to turn it so that you can get at the stator cover.

If you don't have a bike jack it would be best to have a helper to shift the engine around. If you don't have any jacks it could be done with some blocking and shims or wedges to shift the engine up and down. You don't need to remove the carbs, just remove the intake bolts and tie the carbs up against the frame with a rope around the runners and up over the false tank. That saves a lot of time, you can worry the engine out from under the carbs pretty easily.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I had the engone out alread, In fact I replaced it. Was just looking for shortcuts.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
I had the engone out alread, In fact I replaced it. Was just looking for shortcuts.
It will be much easier the 2nd time around.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

not a chance. engine removal only. Loosening the rear differential makes the driveshaft a little easier to install, takes pressure off spring.

Ive done a stator change in 2 hours 2 minutes with an assistant. from key off to key on and started

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.