Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little confused about the relays on the left side of the bike backwards of the fuses. All but one seem to have the same part number. The odd one is also blue and the others black. Is this the famous #3 relay? And what does it control?

·
Administrator
27,951 Posts
What position is the blue relay in? The one on the top right is #3. Could be one has been replaced with the blue one, they all are the same originally.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
Some of the relays are identical parts. Post a picture of your relays, it will help us ID them.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
As you can see in the diagram relay #3 is in the upper right of the fuse block.

[/IMG]

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. It's actually on Nyme's bike and we noticed it while doing the repair in the thread below. He's away now so I can't get a picture but it was in the second row down on the right. It definitely had a different number on it's case from the black ones. Probably was a replacement - I hadn't thought of that.

I only asked as he was planning to buy some new ones as he read somewhere on this site it's good to change them as the bike gets older.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...-us-spec-wont-attempt-turn-starter-start.html

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some of the relays are identical parts. Post a picture of your relays, it will help us ID them.

The plot thickens!! I've just rooted out my Haynes manual which does mention a blue relay. I've scanned the page and attached it here but I still don't really know why one needs to be different from the rest. You can see the blue one in picture 5.1b. It also mentions it is a different fitting to the others. Anyway, not terribly important but needed to know to order a spare.

Attachments

·
Administrator
27,951 Posts
Yes, it is different. The position relay is normally closed while the others are normally open.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Note that if you're replacing the relays, you can simply make them all the Same... for example, I've changed all of mine to 30amp Pilot Relays (even the ones that were formerly 20 amp).

Realize that relays are Not like fuses (which require idenical amperage replacements)... You can safely up the amperage on a relay to whatever amount you like, without risk of harming the electric system.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Note that if you're replacing the relays, you can simply make them all the Same... for example, I've changed all of mine to 30amp Pilot Relays (even the ones that were formerly 20 amp).

Realize that relays are Not like fuses (which require idenical amperage replacements)... You can safely up the amperage on a relay to whatever amount you like, without risk of harming the electric system.

Thanks for that tip. That's good to know as I expect ones from Honda are expensive

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.