Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I plan to add auxillary power wiring similar to Rudy's site and Dusty's diagrams on my 92 GL1500A. The only question I have is about the relays. What type, 4 or 5 pin, and how to wire them in. Do I need a relay harness or do you just use insulated terminals direct to relay? Most relay sockets with wire are lighter wire gauge than needed for higher current power wire, but would be ok for the control wires to the coil. What issuggested for the relays and for connecting relays in circuit and where to buy them.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks, I have Rudy's and Dusty's diagrams both printed and have fuse blocks and other items, but did not know about the relays. Will check on those at auto parts store tomorrow.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I used 5 pin 30-40amp relays (with no supplied 'harness')in my set up, with light gauge (22g) wire running from the accessory terminals on the bike's OEM fuse panel, to the relays, as all they do is energize them.

Main power/ground leads from the battery,to the relays/fuse panels are 10g. Most other is 12/14g. All connections and some quick connects are tinned, with them all crimped and covered with heat shrink tubing and run inside of flexible split wire loom to protect the wiring.

Others are the Hitachi style connectors.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

my preference is five pin spdt relays and wiring harnesses,i use them on my headlight circuit that when turned off power a buzzer which lets me know to turn on headlights after starting bike,i use them with my driving lights and foglights so that when wired correctly the foglights come on when i turn the driving lights off at night,been using the wiring harness's for four years on two different wings w/o a failure,have had more problems with low current switches that power the relays than anything
this pretty much the same style of wiring as "dusty" is using,main power to each relay is fused depending on what circuit its powering usually 15 amp,some ten or less

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
imported post

I must admit I just used the fuse block from cyclemax it connects to either the aux output to turn on the relay or to the blue wire up near the ignition so when you hit the started everything shuts off untill the bike starts. The fuse block comes with complete instructions for both ways.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Yup .... they work well!:grinner: ....... I just chose to spend $20 to make my own 'system', instead of $50. :baffling:

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

I went with SPST and use the ACC terminal on the stock fuse box to trigger it. I added a 30a fuse in parallel to the stock main so that my added circuits don't bother the original wiring. I ran 10/12 gauge from the 2nd main fuse to the relay and from the relay to the added blade-style fuse box. 18/16 gauge from the fuse box to the various outlets/accessories.

I elected to connect everything together with quarter-inch female blade terminals, properly crimped, soldered andinsulated, at the relay and the fuse box. I used eyelet terminals at the ACC+ and ACC- screws. Should anything fail on the road, I can swap out parts without need for a soldering iron.

Here is my diagram. Hope it helps!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

The only reason to ue a 5 pin relay over a 4 pin relay is if you wish to shut something off as you turn something on like neoracer does with the buzzer. If you are not doing that you can use either the 4 or 5 pin.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks to all for your advice. I found a 40 amp spst 4 pin relay at Advance Auto for $5.99 and other needed items, except they were out of the Bussman 6 fuse block, but would have more by end of week. Only adding some outlets for GPS and charging phone, but decided to go ahead and do it right to start with so will have it ready for any future items as I am sure I will find others to add later. Plan to use 10 ga wire for main power and ground runs as per Rudy's and Dusty's diagrams and other wire sizes from fuse block based on amps and length of wire runfrom tables I found on some 12v wiring sitesother items.

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

I use automotive relays for many projects from antenna switches to remote power switching.

I take my diagonal wire cutters and go to a local U-Pull auto salvage (recyling center) and find some donor vehicle that has been well picked over and simply cut the relay block out of the harness with all of the relays in place. Usually $2 at the counter or less if the guy just says take it. One can simply harvest the relays but I like to have the relay block for projects.

I use telephone cable for the relay control circuit wire. 22 ga. but enough for controlling the relays. Plus one can actually wire the RJ-45 phone jacks into the system so you can disconnect them easily.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.