Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Last night I was riding home on a twisty mountain road. Seems like every time I came around a corner, there was a car and I had to dim the light. Well in all that dimming and brightening, the fuse blew and I had no headlight on a twisty mountain road going about 45.

Scared the crap out of me. Managed to get it stopped. The last few feet were wobbly because I couldn't see a thing. No moon. No Stars. and those stupid blue lights from the wall mart speakers blinding me.

So I am at the side of the road trying to figure out how to get the cover off the fuses. Good thing I installed those wall mart speakers cause that is how I knew where it was. For future reference push down from the top release thing. Anyway finally got it off and took it to the front to read it on the little dim white light. 7th fuse up is the light and 8th is the fan. Don't need the fan as bad as the light at night so it was an easy temp fix.

Pulled the fuse and sure enough it was blown, but it was a 10. It was supposed to be a 15. I've been riding for a month on an undersized fuse and it blows on the first night ride.

When you get a new bike, check the fuses are right, learn where the fuses are, and put a couple spares in the tray.... next to the led flashlight:)

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

have you checked the others ---in the daylight ?

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
imported post

Besides the led lights I carry in the bags and trunk I also carry one of those crank up lights that you crank for 30 seconds and you have light for 30 minutes, Kmart or Big Lots has them & ya never need batteries,also have spare fuses in the passengers side box.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

That's what I like, the crank up flashlights. Great invention. No worries about dead batteries just when you need it.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
imported post

I keep a shake up flashlight in my saddlebag, just shake it a couple of times and I have never seen it go dim so far. I also have a few LED flashlights as well as a large Maglight. I also have a "jumpstart" 12 volt power source that has an area light on it as well.

I mounted those little LED lights in the trunk and the saddlebag tops as well, click and they last up to a thousand hours.

I broke down one night with a light that had dead batteries and that will not ever happen to me again. Been there and done that and got the T shirt. I keep more than I think I need because you just never know how long any of them will last.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
imported post

I would pack a very good quality flashlight. I have a windup/selfpowered lightthat I carry for emergencies and wouldn't you know it, we stumbled on a headon collision last summer just after dark. We were some of the first ones on scene and the windup light was not nearly enough. We could not see through the smoke to see into the vehicles to make sure people were okay (a poor college girl had her minivan engine sitting on her lap after a drunk crossed the median) and the whole scene was almost hit by another vehicle as the windup light was not bright enough to signal traffic of the blocked lane. Besides a high quality light, I would also pack a flare(s) or even better yet, electronic "flares". Walmart had them for pretty cheap in the car care aisles but this is what I'm talking about: http://www.nkhomesecurity.com/detail.asp?id=1300

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.