Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This weekend is my last scheduled MSF class for this year. I will miss the camaraderie of my fellow instructors, the eager faces of the new students, the satisfaction I feel when I realize a student has finally understood and is doing it right. I regret that my teaching skills will become rustymy students will not receive my best inthe first class or two next year.

I am looking forward to having every weekend free to experience the crisp winter air riding to my heart's content! Next year will also mark my last year as an employed person; 2013 will bring retirement and hopefully, a more active outdoor lifestyle!

A life's work will be done, yet a new life is waiting in the wings. Waiting to take me places I've never been, a lifestyle I've never had. The allure of this freedom is intoxicating!

Remorse, regrets; yet the expectation of something, hopefully exciting, refreshing, fulfillingeven scary.

Dubs

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I envey you Dubsie. I can say this, I was going nuts when I had no job! Opened up a restoration shop, just to dabble in the old stuff. Now I'm busier than I EVER was! Nope. No retirement in my future. They'll probly find me laying next to my tablesaw someday! Congrats on finishing your job, and I hope you do all the things you ever wanted. Best to ya, jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

First, congratulations on yet another milestone in your life.

I will say to you what I said to the instructors of our MSF class, Leave knowing that the knowledge and techniques tough to us will far out last the pay that you received for doing it, but the joy of riding is shared. Those students in your first couple of classes....... If they can learn just a small percentage of what you know, they are much better off. However I suspect they will learn more than that.

Im sure your retirement will be as rewarding for you as your whole life as been till now. You have earned your freedom, enjoy!

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Well, if your worried about getting a bit rusty on the teaching skills I'll ride down there and you can teach me how to ride the twisties better on the weekends for awhile. LOL

I am rather headstrong and set in my ways on a few things though, I insist on parking my bikes in First gear or reverse always, but other than that....

Enjoy the vacation and riding, and congratulations on the 1 more year to retirement.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

I've always had reverse.

It's that little idler gear that turns the engine that's broke so starter won't start it, and I have to roll start.

Reverse works great LOL

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

We only have them park them in neutral the first day for safety reasons. The second day we tell them to park in first gear, or in your case 1st or reverse!

I want to thank all of you for your well wishes! I still have an entire year to go. If it passes as fast as this year has it will be here before I know it.

Come on to Knoxville and we will ride the twisties; but I doubt that I can teach anyone how to ride them. I like slow and easy for the most part. Even when I ride hard, it is still very conservative to most rider's standards!

I do hope each student receives the very best we can give them. Their lives are at stake and we do not take that lightly. Their first 2 years are critical to their survival and the tools we give them are to get them thru that two year window.

I want to involve myself more in the American Legion, Patroit Riders and other groups that are important to me. So I don't think I will lack for things to do!

Thanks again!

Dubs

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Dubswing wrote:
We only have them park them in neutral the first day for safety reasons. The second day we tell them to park in first gear, or in your case 1st or reverse!

Come on to Knoxville and we will ride the twisties; but I doubt that I can teach anyone how to ride them. I like slow and easy for the most part. Even when I ride hard, it is still very conservative to most rider's standards!
Yea I can see the safety reasons with possibly new riders pretty easy.

Well, I have to see how I am doing money wise, but I can probably ride to Knoxville soon and maybe camp out a weekend.

I was going to buy 2 more wings. 1 seller is going to keep his, I prefer that anyway, he was going to sell too cheap and if there is hope he can ride again and it keeps his spirits up that's fine by me. I did not need the wing anyway and I'd rather he be able to keep it.

Now I have to see if I am still buying the second wing or not. I'd like to have it, but not that important to me really.

I had sold my 82 1100 to my best friend early this year, when I got my 1500. It was a no money down deal, he was supposed to pay me $300 a month for a few months, what he offered. Well I gave him the title but I never got any money, so he gave me the title back yesterday since I'll need it to ride while I work on my 1500 later during winter.

I guess things are working out ok. Not great, but ok. LOL

Make sure the wife has decent heat in the house with the wood burner if it turns cold, and I am about ready to ride again.
HI HO the old gray mare!

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

Congratulations Dubs. It seems like you have put some thought into your future and are prepared, which is a positive thing.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Ben,

I have worked hard and God has blessed me to be able to be in a position to retire in a little over a year. I want to give back a little to my community and my country. So I plan to devote some time in those areas. Have some fun riding is definitey on my list and making sure Lois is taken care of. Between her, riding, teachingand the other things I mentioned, I should be able to stay as busy as I want.

Chromo, I will be in Fairview, TN., which is 20 miles West of Nashville the evening of Friday 11-11-11. Will be staying at the Deerfield inn at the 182 exit on I-40 for the weekend. A group of us will be riding local roads up thru the Land Between the Lakes into Kentucky. Ride with us if you want to.

Dubs

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

Dubswing wrote:

I want to thank all of you for your well wishes! I still have an entire year to go. If it passes as fast as this year has it will be here before I know it.

I do hope each student receives the very best we can give them. Their lives are at stake and we do not take that lightly. Their first 2 years are critical to their survival and the tools we give them are to get them thru that two year window.

I want to involve myself more in the American Legion, Patroit Riders and other groups that are important to me. So I don't think I will lack for things to do!

Thanks again!

Dubs

When I retire it will be to the Knoxville area. Probably more up around Clinton or Lake City area. That won't be for a few more years though. I WAS planning to go in 13 BUT things being what they are I decided to wait until 16. Perhaps we can meet up down around there when the times comes. Good luck on YOUR endeavors whatever they may be!!!!!!

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Perhaps then Bernie, you'll get the chance to ride cross country, out to WA and visit with Mel n Sandy! :thumbsup:

Put time aside for those long distance rides you've been only dreaming about up to this point.

Reality starts with retirement, .... what you do with it is up to you. Don't let the chance slip you by, for it will not come again! :coollep:

Cheers n congrats ..... Dusty

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

I'll see what's going on the 11th and maybe meet up with you around Nashville perhaps.

Kentucky is a nice ride, I crossed it at night many times, to actually be able to see it would be nice also LOL

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I am looking forward to being my own boss (more or less) when I retire. Do some traveling as my situation allows. As a boy, I did a lot of camping in the W.Va. mountains. I would like to do some of that again. Of course, cross country trips are what I would love to do but that may not be possible. God will have to help me with that. Mel and Sandy understand why that may not be possible. I have traveled around the world a couple of times but never by motorcycle. The real joy is riding this great country at your pace and on your schedule.

Dubs

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Dubswing wrote:
I am looking forward to being my own boss (more or less) when I retire.  Do some traveling as my situation allows.  As a boy, I did a lot of camping in the W.Va. mountains.  I would like to do some of that again.  Of course, cross country trips are what I would love to do but that may not be possible.  God will have to help me with that.  Mel and Sandy understand why that may not be possible.  I have traveled around the world a couple of times but never by motorcycle.  The real joy is riding this great country at your pace and on your schedule. 

Dubs
Great news, Dub, and relax.....retirement is great. I've been retired now for almost eight years! The book I've been pushing, Younger Next Year, by Crowley and Lodge, explains how it can work better than anything I've seen. First, exercise six days a week....eat no crap....and then, just as importantly, "care and commit." You have to find something besides your "ex-work" to care about and commit to! In my case, it was my wife, our motorcycling, and my winter-time "job" of ski patrolling. You're gonna be fine, my friend, you are the absolute epitome of "care and commit" sort of guy.... we are proud to count you and Lois as among our friends.

Ride where you can and when you can, and we do understand.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

I am very thankful for my good friends on this forum. Even the ones I have had the opportunity to meet yet. Dusty and all the rest. My one long ride this year was to Belaire, Michigan. A week long trip with great riding weather. temps and riding friends. I did have to leave a couple days early though. My lifelong dream is to just ride from place to place, stop when I want, go when I want, to wherever I want. But I don't believe that will ever happen. Lois isn't able to do that and I wouldn't leave her alone to persue that dream.

As for riding here locally, I am available most weekends and when retired just about any day. So if you are in my neck of the woods, the Dragon, Cherohala and other great destinations are day rides for me.

Dubs

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,203 Posts
imported post

I don't like to ride at night, I want to see and enjoy the scenery.

Too many years of working have forced me to drive at any hour of the night and I missed way too much scenery.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

I don't mind the interstates at night and city streets, but those dark country highways pose too many problems that you just can't see in time. So I try to finish riding by night fall.

Dubs

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

Dubswing wrote:
I don't mind the interstates at night and city streets, but those dark country highways pose too many problems that you just can't see in time. So I try to finish riding by night fall.

Dubs
I work a LOT of backshifts and this is the best time for me to ride. No one is awake waiting for me so I can take my time getting home. The BIGGEST problem for night riding around here are the Mayflies. Around Lake Erie is a nightmare in the summer.
They don't bite or sting and they only live a few days but when they are around its by the BILLIONS!!!!!!!!! It gets so bad in a city near here they have to scoop them up in front end loaders.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
I don't like to ride at night, I want to see and enjoy the scenery.

Too many years of working have forced me to drive at any hour of the night and I missed way too much scenery.
Yes, I need to ride more in day and less at night maybe.
I mostly ride at night to get to where I am going or sometimes I just been there many times already anyway.
Like 1k in 20hours to Front Royal, mostly at night. It was nice to have the Parkways almost all to myself nearly all the way across KY. Not much for scenery at night but not many cages to worry about either.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.