Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
C'roam
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi,

Following the extraction of all the "stuff" in the factory fairing, I still feel that the bike could be lighter and therefore more fun.

I managed to squeeze in an 8 day tour of Oregon and Northern California in Sept.

My brother and I rode (he has a cherry 82 FT 500) from his home in the Sierra foothills to Yosemite.

On the way home I took a spin around Crater Lake.

I tried to post pics from the trip but they are too large

The Wing ran great the whole time, but the weight of all the factory gear seems excessive.

I am contemplating removal of the fairing for starters, does anyone know which headlight ears work well/best as a replacement?

Just guessing that a CB 650,750,900 would be a good donor?

I am aware of the NGW website, just curious to see if anyone here has experience with this.

Thanks, and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Phil C

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

[align=center]

[/align]
[align=center]Welcome Phil C[/align]

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

I've seen the CB900 headlight and brackets used on naked GL1100s. The thing is, CB900 parts aren't the easiest to come by any more.

·
Premium Member
68,164 Posts
imported post

WELCOME:waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

cb900 will work along with any 1100 ears

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

E bay has them from naked wings every now and them .Welcome from Massachusetts

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I've seen several headlights and ears from GL1100 Standards on eBay. They do come up reasonably often.

·
C'roam
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks to everyone for your prompt replies.
I keep forgetting that the 1100 did come from factory "naked". I will search ebay for 1100 headlight ears and turn signals. One thing I do like about the factory bags are those huge built in signal lenses, visibility is pretty important to me.

Phil

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Just be sure and add more layers on you body as the farring sure makes a warmer ride in the cold. Maybe heated grips too. I just returned from NH to Vegas Tuesday evening and am very thankful for the farring as without one the many days of cold rain and 30°-35° temps would have been unbearable. Sure wish I had put on grip heaters before I left in Aug, but then I thought I'd only be gone a month and a half. My insulated long johns kept my body toasty but my fingers felt the cold through the gloves
Happy Thanksgiving to you.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,204 Posts
imported post

My bike sits there right now with front brake calipers that where listed as off of a CB900, it all works for me...

·
C'roam
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

newday777, yes removing the fairing means dealing with COLD air, I plan to put a simpler bar mount fairing on.
Many years ago I lived in Solana Beach and the Coachella Valley, I sure do miss warm riding weather.
Glad you mentioned heated grips, its worth considering, here in Portland cold air is the norm for many months.
New Hampshire to Vegas eh? I love riding in the desert, have you ever been over the Mt Carmel highway South out of Zion Nat. Park? Fantastic road.
Happy Thanksgiving

·
C'roam
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

chilidawg,
I wondered how many parts are common to the CB 750,900,1100 and Wings, good to know about the brake calipers, thanks.
Happy Thanksgiving

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

even the carbs are the same... just arranged differently. Had a cb900 supersport 82 and the rims, carbs, calipers and etc are the same. Im sure alot other bike made by honda in those years, parts can be the same.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
imported post

I would imagine that a headlight bucket from a GL1000 would work, as well as the elusive GL1200 Standard that was offered in 1984 only.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

The list is a little long for the naked form

Your interstate would have left the factory "dressed" as I understand that 1980 saw the last naked goldies to leave the production line

As well as ears and the headlight and bucket you will need the indicators with extenders and rubber ends. Consider mirrors also.

Check the faux tank on yours. The interstate and the naked are slightly different at the front and I found that the interstate one I have as a spare (for bits)has a bigger gap letting water into the delecate bits.

Some air deflectors for the rad are needed and the horns will need some adapting to fit to the new mounting points.

As for the rear area I find that the big 1980 rear indicators are more than good enough.

Lastly be prepared for the engine noise you used to hear to disapper as the wind in your hair will see to that.

Good luck with the lightening.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

oops double:ssshh:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.