Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Can someone please tell me how to go about removing the small rear bearing if it is a tight fit in the Rear Cover of the standard hitachi alternator.

On one alternator that I have the bearing is a tight fit on the rotor shaft. Onthe other the bearing is a tight fit in the Rear Cover.

Thanks for your advice.

Keith.:stumped::stumped::stumped:

The topic should read, Removal of GL1500 Alternator Small Bearing.

How did this happen, can someone please fix it.

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

The ones I have seen are always on the rotor shaft via a press fit. Odd that the shaft slid out of the bearing.

To remove the bearing from case you will need a small seal puller. The kind with a 90 degree tip. A small slide hammer with inside puller jaws might also fit. The bearing should not be too tight in the case, any tool with a tip to get behind the bearing and tapped, pried or pulled will get it out.

How much room do you have between case and rear of bearing?

JD

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

The case looks like aluminum and the bearing is steal so heat, about 300>350 degrees F and it will drop out by itself or with gentle taping of the case.

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts
imported post

Or use this trick I have used getting clutch pilot bearings out. Find a shaft, punch or whatever will just fit inside the bearing, fill the cavity with grease and drive the punch down into it forcing the bearing out.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
Or use this trick I have used getting clutch pilot bearings out. Find a shaft, punch or whatever will just fit inside the bearing, fill the cavity with grease and drive the punch down into it forcing the bearing out.
Yeah, I had about forgotten about that little trick. It works great too... simple hydralic pressure will knock that bearing right out.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Bellboy40 wrote:
DaveO430 wrote:
Yeah, I had about forgotten about that little trick. It works great too... simple hydralic pressure will knock that bearing right out.
I've done the same useing a wooden dowl as a punch. Works great.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Sorry guys I forgot to get back to you after your help.
All sorted now I used the dowl trick to punch it out
great tip.

Thanks

Keith

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

It's been a busy time of year,,,,,,,, so your excused ;)

Thanks for getting back with results,,,,,, it does help the next one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.