Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I remove old dried glue from my windshield. The former owner had taped a For Sale sign to the windshield. The windshield is cloudy and I will have to clean it. I am planning on using a headlight polishing restore kit. Any ideas Thanks Fred

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
If it is primarily glue and bits of masking or cellophane tape, try using some regular car paste wax. I had to do what you are doing many years ago. Paste wax was the least offensive to the plastic and it worked well.

·
Premium Member
3,595 Posts
86 Gold Wing 1200 I and I believe it is original windshield
I had an '85, it's OEM windshield was pealing in splotches in 1995. How thick is your's and does it have the black lower part. Many aftermarket windshields were 3/16" thick, made of stiffer plexiglass, and non coated. The OEM is thinner, flexes, and was coated. I would not hesitate to use WD-40 or GooGone.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it is primarily glue and bits of masking or cellophane tape, try using some regular car paste wax. I had to do what you are doing many years ago. Paste wax was the least offensive to the plastic and it worked well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had an '85, it's OEM windshield was pealing in splotches in 1995. How thick is your's and does it have the black lower part. Many aftermarket windshields were 3/16" thick, made of stiffer plexiglass, and non coated. The OEM is thinner, flexes, and was coated. I would not hesitate to use WD-40 or GooGone.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is thick with side wind deflectors. No black at bottom. I have used WD 40 before Just didn't know if it was safe on this windshield Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,595 Posts
It is thick with side wind deflectors. No black at bottom. I have used WD 40 before Just didn't know if it was safe on this windshield Thanks
Sounds like a non coated plexiglass or acrylic with the OEM side deflectors added back. OEM was black silk screened at bottom.

·
Premium Member
3,595 Posts
It is safe. It does nothing except lubricate the surface as you wipe thus preventing smearing as layers of adhesive can not re-adhere to the surface.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts