Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Ihave replaced a many bearings in my life and usually you have an engineer who plans on that when the part is designed but, this oneseems to have fallen through the cracks. I want to know if I am making this project more difficult than it should be or if there is some super secret bearing tool that I have never come across. I am open for any HELP!:?

·
Administrator
27,886 Posts
imported post

Brian , there is a thread in the A-Z index with some tips. Wheel bearing removal tips is the title. For some reason I can't copy and paste a link from there.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

It's a problem since the spacer between the bearings makes it hard to get a drift on the inner race. You can with some wheels get the spacer to move to the side enough that you can tap on the inner race, but I couldn't do it with mine. There are tools you can buy that will lock into the center of the bearing and allow you to then pull it or drive it out. I don't do enough so I took the cheap route and made one. I think the axle on mine is a 15mm and a 5/8" fine thread bolt will go in with very little clearance. Take a tool and cut a slot in the threaded end that you can start a 6" cold chisel in. Take the bolt and thread a nut onto it so that when you insert it into the bearing the bolt will stop as the end slotted end reaches the inner side of the bearing. Set the bolt head on a hard surface and drive the cold chisel into the slot far enough so that it doesn't move when you stand the wheel up. You should be able to drift the bearing out by just tapping on the cold chisel. LOL!!!

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Thanks for the help, I had come up with the same idea for my tool, I guess great minds think alike only I was a little slow out of the gate.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
It's not that difficult, but with a little bit of ingenuity, you can make tools to do it. I detailed it on my page here:

How to replace your front wheel bearings
I replaced my wheel bearings last spring and use GSMacLean info and it worked great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.