Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am still attempting to clean and check all my electrical contacts( running down on a starting/charging problem). It looks like i will want to take this fairing off to get to the mass of wires at the front of this bike. I was wondering if i am going to to need any special tools or braces to get this thing off (and back on:dude:) by myself.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

Best to remove the fairing while leaving the support bracket in place. The fairing is held onto the support bracket with 4 bolts at the very bottom. Unplug the wiring harness, remove the 4 bolts, lift off the fairing. If it has lowers you'll have to remove them first.

Q

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Q wrote:
Best to remove the fairing while leaving the support bracket in place. The fairing is held onto the support bracket with 4 bolts at the very bottom. Unplug the wiring harness, remove the 4 bolts, lift off the fairing. If it has lowers you'll have to remove them first.

Q
Thanks Q

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
imported post

One thing to watch is how tight to tighten when you put the fairing back on. I evidently either tightened mine too much or too little and within a few weeks of putting her back on, she began to crack/break near the bolts that hold it on. I am hoping someone here will chime in and tell us which it was, too tight or too loose?

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

On the Vetter fairing, I can't recall if there was a rubber strip on top of the fairing bracket to provide a little cushion between the bracket and fairing.

On my KZ1100, I was pretty disappointed on just how much the fairing vibrated over bumps and such.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

There should be a couple flat metal pieces, basically odd shaped fender washers that clamp the plastic to spread the load. Without those it would crack.

Q

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
imported post

Have the long flat metal piece with a thin strip of rubber under it. This fairing was on my dad's bike 20 yrs without a problem... I put it on and yuk.. just don't want this to happen to anyone else or myself again. What do ya think I did Q? too tight or too loose?

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

I think it's more likely that too tight would cause a crack.

Q

morriscatt wrote:
Have the long flat metal piece with a thin strip of rubber under it. This fairing was on my dad's bike 20 yrs without a problem... I put it on and yuk.. just don't want this to happen to anyone else or myself again. What do ya think I did Q? too tight or too loose?

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
imported post

2Da, didn't want this to happen to you.
Thanks for the advise Q. Don't know if I will use those "no back out" nuts when I go back again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.