Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Apologies if this is a dup, I forgot if I posted this here long ago. When I purchased my 89 Wing I was unable to see thru the shield due what I'll ignorantly call oxidization glaze.

Assuming I needed to replace the shield anyways, I decided to experiment and cut the shield such it was 9" high or so. To protect the shield I used the BLUE Painters tape and used a jig saw.

LOW AND BEHOLD... when I removed the Blue Painters tape.... yup, you guessed it, the Oxidization came with it. No kidding. I used up a whole roll (a buck); but by the time I was done, I had what looked like a NEW shield.

Now, I've tried other tapes: Black, Duck, Masking; but the Blue Painters tape worked best for me.

Your mileage may very.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
imported post

Wow, good tip!
I'll make sure I pass this along to a buddy who has this same problem

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
imported post

blue painter's tape is the tape they use to mask off areas that they want to paint or not to paint, it is very flexible and capable of curving for nice designs. can get at any automotive paint supplie store.:action:

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Or at HD..comes in fatter sizes too!!!

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

Theres normally a protective layer on the plastic screens, it looks like this is fogging up and you are removing it, i know people who have put on stickers and when they have removed them the protective layer came off as well, but as long as it works, it works out great.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

Y'all may know this already, but to keep that "fresh windsheld look" don't clean your windshield with windex(or similar products) My son found out on the Honda Shadow board that Lemon Pledge spray furniture polish works best. I tried it on my aspy windshield and it works like magic. Cleans off the bugs, and I no longer see the "spider webs"(micro scratches)at night when oncoming lights shine through. Amazing.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

I thot he meant heavy duty store ! :D

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

53jimc wrote:
Y'all may know this already, but to keep that "fresh windsheld look" don't clean your windshield with windex(or similar products) My son found out on the Honda Shadow board that Lemon Pledge spray furniture polish works best. I tried it on my aspy windshield and it works like magic. Cleans off the bugs, and I no longer see the "spider webs"(micro scratches)at night when oncoming lights shine through. Amazing.
Yep, Yep, Yep.....I agree totally....an old WING rider taught me that tip 20 yrs ago. Everywhere I go I keep a can of Lemon PLEDGE in my saddlebags, along with a "SOFT" wiping cloth. It not only cleans the bug guts off, it cleans all the rode grim and diesel fuel that sometimes splatters from Semi's....plus, it gives a protective coating and acts kinda-sota like 'RAIN-X" on your screen.

Does a great job in cleaning your helmet AND it's shield too ! :goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

I tried that Lemon Pledge but all it did on my 83 was make all the car headlights have a halo. I like Plexus a lot better.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

For real?!!? I gotta check that out...Must have about three rolls of the stuff lying around the house. Thanks for the tip anythingoutside!

:cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.