Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I want to remove the belt cover so I can clean it up. Is it possible to remove the cover without pulling the radiator? I believe can get to the bolts easy enough, but how long are the bolts, and are there any other problems to consider?

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

loosen the radiator top nuts and remove the bottom bolts.you can get them off . just wedge the rad bottom out for some hand clearance . 3 are the same lenght --just rember where the long one goes .

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

I have an 84 Interstate and I just changed my belts this weekend. I found that it would be almost impossible to access the 2 center boldt on the cover with out removing the radiator. the worst part about removing it was reconnecting the overflow tube to the fill neck, darn hard to get to.

Ritchie:action:

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

I was going to head to harbor freight this weekend to pick up a set of ratcheting box wrenches. This application plus many more makes these tools a must have.
Do not remove the radiator but you do have to remove the lower hose and drain the coolant.

Some guys filter the fluid and reuse. Im torn on that decision. Not sure If i want to gamble for just a few more bucks.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If the coolant is clean and reasonably fresh, say less than ayear old there's no reason not to reuse it. If it's discolored or old go for new. BTW keep the stuff away from animals. Some dogs are attracted to the stuff, it tastes sweet but is poison.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

Yes, the covers can be removed without doing anything to the radiator. There is a special wrench with a swival end that can be purchased or you can make one as I did.

You should still remove the fairing lowers. Without the wrench it is more challenging to get the center bolts re-threaded with out the helping hand of children.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

True, the covers can be removed without the radiator moved,but it's a pain. The problem is getting the bolts to locate in the holes when you put the covers back on. I had to remove the lower radiator bolts and pull the radiator forward a bit.

In addition, I found that ratcheting too close to the radiator cause crunching/denting of the radiator cooling fins.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

sandcastcb750 wrote:
In addition, I found that ratcheting too close to the radiator cause crunching/denting of the radiator cooling fins.
I have found that a thin sheet of plastic up against the inside surface of the radiator protects the radiator and my knuckles!!

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

OK, it's done. I couldn't believe what a mess they were, I don't think anyone has ever cleaned them. I did unhook the bottom of the radiator to move it out and give me a little more room to work with.

Those ratchet wrench's don't get used all that often, but when their needed, they're worth their weight in gold. I will admit that I had no idea what a job I was getting myself into. I started pulling the lowers off at 9 am and finally finished the cleaning and put it together again at 2 pm.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It's good to hear all went well on the project. I've pretty much gone with removing the radiators when I do the job. Since the coolant has to be drained anyway I find it easier just to remove the radiator which gives a lot more room to work. I leave the lower hose attached to the waterpump spigot since it's easier to remove two bolts than a hose and clamp and pull the hose off the top of the thermostat fitting then just wiggle the radiator out after disconnecting the fan. You can disconnect the overflow line after you've dropped the radiator a bit, that gives more room to do the job.

While I'm thinking about hoses and such, I can't recommend a set of hose pliers from Harbor Freight highly enough. These things are very handy and can put a hose on or remove one where you fingers can't go. Saves a lot of cussin'.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=37909

Especially useful on 1500s!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.