Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how hard it is to remove the gl1500 emblems off side covers? Bought new covers without emblems. And bought old beat up cover with emblems off EBay to put on new cover. How did Honda attach emblems to oem?

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Most of the emblems are held on by double sides sticky tape. They do have "locator pins" that go into small holes on the covers. You can use fishing line and maybe a hair dryer to remove the emblems. heat it up some with the hair dryer and then use the fishing line to pull trough the tape under the emblem.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
My experience with removing such emblems is that they usually get destroyed while removing them. I don't think I have ever removed a stuck on emblem without damage, but my concern is usually to not damage the paint underneath.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
carefull not to let the hair dryer sit in one spot to long or it could warp.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
I took the emblems off my VTX by squirting a little WD 40 on em, let em soak and use doubled up dental floss in a sawing motion...cleaned up with goo gone...the floss is more forgiving than fishing line...good luck

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
carefull not to let the hair dryer sit in one spot to long or it could warp.
Yeah, you sure don't want a warped hair dryer! :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
I successfully took emblems off with very thin plastic coated tying wire. I heated the panel slightly with a hairdrier first and wiggled the wire under an edge of the emblems. Ran it side to side and it lifted the emblem easy.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
634 Posts
I took the emblems off my VTX by squirting a little WD 40 on em, let em soak and use doubled up dental floss in a sawing motion...cleaned up with goo gone...the floss is more forgiving than fishing line...good luck
+1 on the WD40 :claps:

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Think I will try the wd40 first. My only problem with that method where in Oklahoma do you expect me to find dental floss? ( I'm from Okla anyone else said that it would be on. :)

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,529 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. Think I will try the wd40 first. My only problem with that method where in Oklahoma do you expect me to find dental floss? ( I'm from Okla anyone else said that it would be on. :)
Aww C'mon now... There's no need to be defensive about the dental floss remark! After all, it's well known that the Tooth Brush was invented in the great state of Georgia!!!:coollep:

If it were invented anywhere else though, it would of been called a "Teeth Brush".....:alco::grin::grin::grin:

That said.... I'd look for the 3M doublesided foam tape to reattach the emblems after cleaning the surface with either alcohol or acetone. You should be able to get some at Walmart! Good Luck!!!

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
Here is a link to a thread I made showing exactly how to remove an emblem and attach a new one. You can substitute reapplying the used emblem instead, use some 3M outside double stick tape under it. Cut around the emblem with an exacto knife after applying the tape so there will be nothing sticking out when you apply the emblem.

I did this on an 1800 side cover.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...974-repaired-side-cover-emblem-my-1800-a.html

Last year during a group ride up to Mt Rainier my wife broke the G off of the Goldwing emblem on the right side cover of the 1800. She started to get off the bike and stumbled, her boot caught the G and ripped it right off.

I thought about just leaving it as an "Oldwing" until I checked on the price of the Emblem. It was $27.00 plus tax. WHAT!!! A Honda Goldwing part for $27.00!!!, yep and you can even get them for as little at $17.00 plus shipping online!!.

So here is the sequence of events and pictures....I know how you all like pictures!!

Here is the damaged part:

I borrowed the wife's hair dryer and floss (don't tell her!!!!!!!!!!!).

The Hair dryer to loosen up the doublestick glue.

And then next I used the floss to cut it away.

The Emblem has tabs that stick through the side cover aligning it to where Honda wanted it. This makes cutting through the glue difficult. You will have to pry up the end you have already separated and insert the floss after the tab to continue cutting the glue loose.

The removed emblem showing the tabs and the holes in the side cover where they go through. The glue is a sticky mess at this point and does not readily peel off.

To remove the glue soak some cotton pads (get them from the wifes makeup drawer), cut them in half, soak them in Mineral Spirits and apply to the glue for 15-20 minutes. The Mineral Spirits does not hurt the paint or clear coat!!.

Scrub the glue away with a dry cotton towel or wash cloth. The glue will still be somewhat tacky but will come off with a bit of rubbing. Below you see the side cover with all of the glue removed and the scratches from her boot still present.

Next you will need to remove the scratches and residual crap from the glue and wax buildup around the Emblem. You can use whatever brand of scratch and swirl remover you want. I used NicSand 10,000 because I had it already. It is a water based Aluminum Oxide 10,000 grit sanding Gel. Below the side cover has the scratches removed and is ready for the new Emblem.

And now remove the plastic backing and stick down the new emblem. Put your hand behind the cover to hold it up while you use a cloth from the front to push down on the emblem to firmly seat it against the side cover. Final Product is below, ready for the first coat of polish.!!!

Total time from start to finish was about 45 minutes. Not including the time it took to distract the wife while I raided her makeup supplies.!!!! (of course she did the damage so I might be able to use that as a negotiating tactic if she finds out):ROFL:

Henry

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Hanko, it seems the least the wife could do is furnish you the supplies needed for the repair since she was the one who broke the emblem! :ROFL: However there is a good chance she won't see it that way.
Good job on your repair.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.