Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My brother in law and I are working on his 82 1100A and are not sure of the best way to remove the shelter. He thinks if we unbolt the internal mounts in it that it will swing open down the center. We're trying to avoid disconnecting all the air hoses. His air suspension controls are on and in the shelter. TIA

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

LarryC wrote:
My brother in law and I are working on his 82 1100A and are not sure of the best way to remove the shelter. He thinks if we unbolt the internal mounts in it that it will swing open down the center. We're trying to avoid disconnecting all the air hoses. His air suspension controls are on and in the shelter. TIA
Shelter refers to the false gas tank...are you referring to the shelter or the fixed main fairing?

·
Administrator
26,144 Posts
imported post

No you cannot unbolt it from the inside and open it up. It is riveted together in the center. It is a PIA to take it of an 82 aspy, the only way is to disconnect the air hoses. They should have had quick disconnects on them.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
imported post

Ditto on the 82 shelter definitely a PIA :hoppingmad::hoppingmad::hoppingmad:

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Yeah, that's an understatement!!! We got it off. I was just hoping there's an easier way. Sure a lot different than my Interstate! I think I'll stay with the interstate. We had decided to take the fairing off first. Wrong idea! The po had a bunch of accessory wiring going under the shelter. We finally got it all off. We stripped out about 50' of unknown wiring while we were at it. It was all hooked to the accessory contacts. The only one we "might" put back is for the cig lighter/accessory power source. We discovered the bottom right side of the fairing is in pretty bad shape. He may be looking for another fairing. All this started when we decided to take the rear fender and lights off so he could clean it up. There's a bunch of crappy lighting back there. That's where some of the wiring went to. At least the rear fender will come off easily now. He just bought the bike for $500. It does run and everything works except the brakes, shocks, and most of the extra lights. The front brakes are sticking, probably have to rebuild the mc and calipers. The shocks and front forks are mushy even after building up the air pressure. It looks like the air compressor works fine, but the shocks and forks need work. I have a rebuilt pair of rear shocks we're going to try on it before he rebuilds his rear shocks.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

When you say the bottom of the fairing was in bad shape are your referring to the place where the mount attachment bracket is? If so it's really not hard to rebuild with a bit of ABS plastic and some ABS cement.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

I have the 82A and know that it is a PIA to remove, someone mentioned quick release fittings, is that an alternative and where would one get that done. I have chosen not to do some electircal additions just because it is such a PIA.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I'm like Dave0430, there should be quick disconnects on them. What made it even more fun was the way all the wiring other than the plug coming out of the fairing. A couple wires went from the opposite side of the fairing clear to the rear of the bike with no breaks. Kenny says a lot of that stuff will never go back. He's planning on fixing the fairing. I think he's going to try repairing it with metal though unless I can convince him otherwise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.