Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

A mate asked me to help fit new grips to his GL1200. He wants to try and get the old grippers off in one piece (I would have just cut them off). Any suggestions for doing this?

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

In the past I've used WD-40, or dish detergent after working a thin blade under the grips. It's a real pain, and like you, I much prefer a razor knife...:D

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

If you have access to compressed air, use an air blow gun directed between the bars and the grip. You'll be amazed at how well this works and no mess either. Make sure you don't blow air into your skin, very dangerous.

Vic

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
imported post

I'm sure it a little corrosion under the grips. WD trick works great and a small knife, screw driver to break the seal will work.

If all else fails get the "jaws of life" :grinner:

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

As Goldwinger1984posted, compressed air is the fastest least messy way to go. I have done several this way and they just pop right off! I put the nozzle in the hole on the end of the grip. There should be a plug in the end of the handlebar so the air doesn't just blow through. The air causes the grip to expand like a balloon and it slides right off.

Bob

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Compressed air done the trick. I brought the bike down to Steve as he has the little air gun that plugs into the airline and the air made the rubbers swell up and come away easy.Fitting new ones was a diferent story, but its done now.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
You put the new ones on the same way, with the air gun. They slide on like a glove and you can even adjust them back and forth with the air gun.

Vic
The new ones weren't rubber Vic. They were fancy leather ones with the little tails. I had to sand out the insides a bit but it worked out fine in the end.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.