Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Is there somewhere that I can get instructions for removing enough fairing to replace my radio with an after market radio, and I also have segments missing on my Digital dash and was told by a forum member that sometimes CLEANING the back side of the board CAN help, the PO lived on a gravel road and it was 6 miles to the closest hard surface road, I cleaned DUST fron the Fabric seats and nooks and crannys for DAYS after I got it, I PRAY that my digital works again after cleaning.

Thank You Very Much

Steve-O (b679995)

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
imported post

Go to the "Reference/FAQ" page of the forum and down-load one of the free manuals. There should be enough data there to get you started.

My current wing is an Interstate and didn't come with any audio. I had to remove the the shield, headlight,covers for speaker areas and both fairing pockets to mount up a bracket for an automotive stereo.

Your radio should come out with just a turn of the key. It would be a lot easier to have yours repaired, unless you're wanting to upgrade to higher power or Ipod/MP3 input. Good luck :gunhead:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,958 Posts
imported post

There's not really a step-by-step guide for what you want to do. However, lots of forum members have upgraded their radios with new SD card-reading units.

Start by removing the mirrors, then the windshield garnish, then the windshield, then the speakers, then the instrument cover, then the headlight.

There are 4 nuts, 2 behind the headlight and 2 inside the fairing that hold the guage/radio cluster in.

Once you get it loose you can disassemble everything for cleaning and figure out how to run the wiring for the new radio.

First time is a bear. Keep an extension magnet with you at all times. Be patient and pay attention to details. You'll have fun.

Think of it this way...if a certified Honda tech can do it...it can't be all that hard.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:

Think of it this way...if a certified Honda tech can do it...it can't be all that hard.
Ouch !! Dennis,

I take it that comes from experience

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Shooter wrote:
Is there a recommended repair shop, my FM, and Cassette do not work, I only have AM. I would Love to keep it Original, Thank You for this info.
Go to the "Reference/FAQ" page of the forum and down-load one of the free manuals. There should be enough data there to get you started.

My current wing is an Interstate and didn't come with any audio. I had to remove the the shield, headlight,covers for speaker areas and both fairing pockets to mount up a bracket for an automotive stereo.

Your radio should come out with just a turn of the key. It would be a lot easier to have yours repaired, unless you're wanting to upgrade to higher power or Ipod/MP3 input. Good luck :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
imported post

hey b679995 ! i changed my radio support last week on the exact same bike as yours. its not a big job, but if you have big hands !!!good luck!!!
keep plasters near ....lol
may want to take bike .....and dennis advice, he seems to know what he is talking about ....lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.