Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

I don't touch the exhaust pulling the OEM crashguard off my 87 1200. Take the clamps and nuts off, loosten the lower frame bolt, almost till the nut is at the end, tap the shaft with a piece of wood and the crash bar will come out between the headers. Don't even need to jack up the bike.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

What we mean is (sorry if I'm speaking out of turn for you guys) when you have the lower plastic and bar clamps off, loosten the lower engine mount bolt, which goes all he way across and leave the nut side almost off, and turn the bolt head side so it will move. You might need some WD-40 on it. Tap the engine mount bolt so the crash bar flops down. You can twist it out between the pipes, it's easier than it sounds. You don't need to remove the shift lever either. I would not touch the exhaust unless you have a ticking sound coming from it. It can be a real bugger to get the pipes in the heads if you don't have help. Paul

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
FYI, not all 1200's have a bolt head on one end. So far I've had engines out of 3 of them that had nuts on both ends. One was and all thread and the other two were threaded on both ends but solid in the middle. I only say this because your description is assuming that it has a bolthead to determine which side you are talking about. The bolt head should be on the right side if I remember correctly.

It's good to hear how you guys have been successful at doing this without dropping the exhaust headers. I will try your method on the next one I pull a guard off of, which will probably be the '84 I will be working on soon.

John

I know what you mean John. When I bought my sidecar, it came with a total threaded bolt all the way through with nuts on each end. When I got rid of the sidecar, I put the original solid bolt back in. It doesn't really matter which one you have, just back off the nut on the side you need to take the bar off and you'll have enough room to pull it out.If it starts to turn, just tap it to the side you need loose. Paul

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.