Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Have to be careful with these products - probably good for metals, not so much plastics. I used some Circa 1859 paint stripper on my ABS pieces and it took the OEM finish right off - went through to the bare ABS. Removed the pinstripe decals on my '85 Limited Edition before painting, used a razor blade ever so gently. Had a lot of adhesive to remove but some Goof Off and 70% rubbing alcohol took this off. There is a ridge as well between the paint and decal because Honda clear coated after applying the pinstripe decal. This has to be removed as well or will show up in the new finish.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
If I remember correctly I used rubbing compound to remove some names off the trunk of a bike I once sold, But if the decals or pin stripping has been on for a long time the paint under them could be a different shade than the rest of the bike. I parked mine in the garage and waxed almost once a month so there was no fading on my bike.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Did a complete paint job on my '85 Limited Edition in the past 6 months along with an engine rebuild, had to keep busy and still going at it. Honda used a decal for the pinstripe on this model between the gold metal flake and brown metal flake colours. These are no longer available so had to come up with a way to pinstripe the various body panels and ensure I did not lose the outline of the two different colours. Used a 1/8 inch tape to outline the brown metal flake colour. This also was the first black pinstripe. After I had applied the two colours, I used the original tape that separated the two metal flake colours as a guide, applied more tape to define the rest of the pinstripe that is a 1/8 inch black and 1/16 inch black pinstripe. Removed the guide tapes and sprayed with a gloss black. After the pinstripe was painted, sprayed the panel(s) with clear coat. Turned out quite nice.

Doing this work was interesting in that the bike had three different pinstripe schemes, and two different gold metal flake colours. Jaded history this bike. Here's a pic of the front fairing with the OEM pinstripe decal removed. You can see the difference between the two colours and the glue residue left from the OEM pinstripe decal:
Front Fairing Stripped.jpg

Here is a picture of the front fairing painted with the orange guide tape applied:
Front Fairing Gold-Brown Painted.jpg

This guide tape is the 1/8 inch pinstripe you will see in other pics. Here is a pic of the tape process:
Fender Pinstripe Details.jpg

This pic shows the front fairing painted with pinstripe:
Front Fairing Pinstripe Done.jpg

Clear coat applied with other pieces. Made sure all the pinstripe was done:
Clear coat.jpg

If you think I cheated, here's a pic of the front fender with the pinstripe removed:
Front Fender Clean.jpg

Can understand why a person would not do this as it is labour intensive to do a good job, good prep, good paint job - painting is the quickest part of the project.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts