Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question
I am removing the front brake calipers from my 2000 GL 1500 and am struggling to remove the screw in dust caps so I can get to the slide bolts.
I sprayed them down last night with wd- 40 but can't get any of them to break loose. I have good fitting screw drivers but they are skipping a bit and I don't want to destroy them.
Any tips?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
Question
I am removing the front brake calipers from my 2000 GL 1500 and am struggling to remove the screw in dust caps so I can get to the slide bolts.
I sprayed them down last night with wd- 40 but can't get any of them to break loose. I have good fitting screw drivers but they are skipping a bit and I don't want to destroy them.
Any tips?
Thanks
Are they JIS drivers............???

What others have recommended.....!!!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,688 Posts
Are they JIS drivers............???

What others have recommended.....!!!
you need the JIS screwdrivers, the screwheads are NOT Phillips, even though they look like they might be.

a regular Phillips screwdriver will strip the head of the screws

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
509 Posts
WD-40 is not a penetrant. It's not really anything, except a "water displacer".

Try PB Blaster instead.

Reactions: dingdong

·
Premium Member
3,773 Posts
Even though the screws are jis, if you have a hand impact driver with a bit that fits try it. It will more than likely work just fine. I do it all the time.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
My 91 has flat straight in it,

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
Even though the screws are jis, if you have a hand impact driver with a bit that fits try it. It will more than likely work just fine. I do it all the time.
Sometime things might work just fine for a while then one day.....Bingo....:D

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Question
Any tips?
Thanks
As stated above, to remove the slotted srew in plug over the pad pin bolts, use a hand impact driver with a common screwdriver bit. Trying to remove them with a standard common screwdriver can be very difficult. With a hand impact driver, usually one swift hit with a hammer on the end of the impact driver will break the screw cap loose.

And while you have that impact driver handy, put the appropriate size hex bit (5 mm I think) in it and use it for the pad pin bolts as well. Once again, usually only on swift hit with the hammer will do it.

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
Sometimes bolts/nuts are difficult to loosen if some "Ham-Fist" with a calibrated wrist (he thinks) last installed them....;)

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Leave it in place. What you are working on needs to be solidly mounted for the impact driver to be effective.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts