Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Other day, saw an '83 Interstate that the owner had removed the lower fairing pieces, and the metal wall between the fan and the carbs. Bike looked much cleaner, and in my mind.........would have improved airflow across the engine without that wall there. The look appeals to me, and it looks like it would be a heckuva lot easier to work on. Guy said hetipped it over right after he bought it new in '83, and it landed right onthe edge ofa curb, smashing the right lower fairing piece. So, he took both sides off, then thought the metalshield across the front looked ugly when exposed so he removed that too. He'd basically been riding the bike like that since it was new. Can anybody think of a technical reason not to do it?

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

when youremove the metal peice behind the radiator the hot air from the radiator will come past the plenum and into your legs and the passenger.... the piece diverts the air out to the sides... but can you run it that way? sure

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
imported post

It also communicates a lot of heat straight to the carburetors. This can be very bad in August.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:My question is: since he bought the bike new why didn't he go to the Honda dealer and order new parts which were readily available? The bike looks damn ugly with the lowers etc. removed and it's not very often that they need to be removed to work on the bike. I have an '83 Interstate that I bought newand I wouldn't think about removing the lowers or anything else permanently.

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
imported post

Some of us think it looks better without the lowers, you can see the engine and less to remove when doing maintenance. Also, here in AZ. it gives more airflow across the legs. Doug

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

dougbo wrote:
Some of us think it looks better without the lowers, you can see the engine and less to remove when doing maintenance. Also, here in AZ. it gives more airflow across the legs. Doug
Spot on.

The one I saw with everything removed looked really good that way. Do the standards have that metal shield between the carbs and radiator?

Eric

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.