Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I want to check the starter motor if it needs new brushes. You guys helped me out before i had starter problems thought it was the battery ,but a litlle nok with a small hammer! on the starter moter did the job,engine started and running!

now; the clymer manual says, i have to take the whole engine out to take that starter out!

Please is there no other way to do this?:X

Henk.Tasmania

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

No need. Be sure to disconnect battery first.

I have an gl1100 and they are similar. Just remove the exhaust downpipes if you can to ease removal. get the gear change leaver off. There are two retaining bolts at the top and bottom. I think they are 8 mm. once that's all done carefully undo the bolt that holds on the red wire to the casing of the starter. Don't let the thread spin or you will break the connection inside. The starter then can be tapped out towards the front of the bike. You should see an oil seal ring then a spline. Inside the hole there should be a gear wheel on a chain. If the bikes on a side stand that falls to the left and makes installing easier later.

I found that getting the starter rebuilt was cheap over here. Go to an electrical motor refurbisher that maybe does washing machine or other electric motors. I got mine fixed for about £30.00. with a years guarantee. He turned it round in a day.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
imported post

Henk, what goldtop said but I would add that on the 85 and up 1200s you will also have to unscrew the exhaust stud closest to the starter so that you can get the starter out. Even with that stud out, it does not seem like it will come out, but if you move the starter around some you will hit the position that will let it come out.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

It's a tight fit..above is correct. just do some wiggling and tilting to get it out..you don't have to remove or loosen the pipes to get it out but it does give you more room to work.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
imported post

I agree with all of the above. The starter motor itself is very easy to strip and service. If it needs new brushes etc. it is still easy to do. Be sure to lubricate the bearings but don't over do it. A couple of hours should see the job finished. Good Luck.

Les

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
imported post

I ended up removing my left exhaust header to get mine out. I also removed the piece of the side frame, a little more work but made it super easy to get the starter out. I have a 1986 GL1200 SE-i. I got pretty aggravated trying to jiggle that starter out before removing the other parts. I put my own brushes in, I think the brushes cost me $19.00, 2 hours of labor for thewhole job taking my time, spent more time rebuilding the starter then I did removing and replacing it. My other parts came off prettyeasy. Works pretty darn nice now.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

Just for the record, with the GL 1000's you have to remove the exhaust stud as well.

Funny, the 1100's come out without a problem.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks guys i am happy again for not having to take the engine out!
But the book said do not remove starter motor with the engine in the frame the starter drive sprocket and drive chain will move away from the hole in the engine rear cover and the motor cannot be reinstalled onto these 2 items
what are your thoughts about that?

Henk Tasmania

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

Henk, dont worry about the sprocket and chain those will remain in place... yuou need to take the exhaust off a little bit and you're good to go.. the bad thing is all the stuff you need to remove to take the exhausts off lol.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks a lot mate,

ill give it a go!

keep your guys updated

Henk Tasmania

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

To help stop the sprocket and chain from moving (if it does you'll need a strong magnet or the engine will have to come out!) make sure that the bike is on the side(kick) stand before you pull the starter motor out.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
imported post

henk, nothing to worry about, the item you are talking about is on the older 1100's. I just did my starter on my SE-i, same model you have I believe. I did mine with the bike on the center stand. I had no problems what so ever with the chain problem that is spoken of.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Hi Forum , a big thanks to all the tips to remove the starter motor. i still had to take the side frame out to get that bl.... thing out there,:cool: but all good.

Thanks again forum!!

Henk Tasmania

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

Thanks guys I`ll be taking mine off tomorrow July 4 2012. its to hot in KY. to ride anyway. hope I can find the brushes

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
imported post

I just pulled mine yesterday and didn't have any luck finding brushes locally, so I ended up ordering a rebuild kit off flea bay for $27. The kit I ordered has the brushes and all the seals and bearing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.