Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi

Unfortunately in South Africa, Goldwing skill is far and in between, so getting a reputible Goldwing Mechanic to assist is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

I need to change my Goldwing 1800GL - 2005 model, back Tyre. I have found a tyre that is manufatured by Bridgestone, but the Supplier has advised me that I need to remove the wheel, and then bring it to them and they will replace the tyre and balance the wheel.

I found a Movie File on Youtube, where the fellow making the movie, drops the Goldwing onto the right hand side and then removes the wheel.

My question to the Forum is:- Can I do this and leave it lying on it's side for two/three days / is there another way to do this with the bike straight up and on the main stand? bearing in mind I need to do this job in my garage (single garage) and am not Technical, so the easier the better.

Thanks

Colin Wagner

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

Hi Colin. Yes you can leave the Goldwing on its side for a few days. You can also take the wheel off with it on the main stand and get a helper to tip the bike to the right while you pull the wheel out. Or you can remove the painted panel and mount that the licence plate bolts to, and roll the wheel out the back.
There are a few ways to do it and I know that all ones described above work because I've used them myself.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
imported post

You can leave the Wing on its side as long as you want Colin. The battery is sealed so you shouldn't lose acid. If you decide to get a helper to tip the bike like the wingnut suggested, make sure its a big helper. Two of them is even better.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

"Or you can remove the painted panel and mount that the licence plate bolts to, and roll the wheel out the back" This is what I recommend. The idea of laying anything but a beat up old dirtbike on it's side just makes me cringe. I know my beat up old 1200 doesn't have a single sided swingarm, but even with it, I would rather spend all day removing parts to get to the wheel than laying it on it's side.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks Guys, I am going to try the slight tip to the RHS first, then the full tip to the right hand side, if the first one doesn't work, and get two friends to help me, as I don't feel comfortable tipping the Wing all the way by myself.

Cheers

Colin Wagner

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

Jerry...really REALLY cool thing about the 1800 is that it lays down and touches only 2 points. Both case guards designed to take it. Have been down and up a number of times without a scratch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.