Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I almost have my carbs off. What is the secret to disengaging the throttle cables from the carbs. My Clymer's manual says see figure 4 and loosen, but I don't know if I can reach that spot.

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Ed,

I had to replace my throttle cable once when it broke on my way to work. I got home by pushing on the linkage with my finger. Made for an interesting ride! I hooked it up the carbs with a lot of cussing and needle nose pliers.

Then I read the book! I think you are supposed to unbolt the intake tubes to the heads, remove the air box and then carefully slide the carb assembly intact to the left so you can access the cable linkage easier! I'm at work right now so I can't double check but I think that's the way it is supposed to be done!

Good luck!

Bob

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

First, get as much slack as possible in the cables at the throttle grip end. Then, I slide the carbs part way out the left side, reach in with open/crescent wrenches to loosen the lock/adjuster nuts where each cable attaches at the throttle bell housing (linkage). Then, slide the adjusters/cables out of their 'mounts.' Once they are loosened, re-center the carbs and go to the right side to get the cable ends detached from where they loop onto the bell crank, with their ends slotted in the holes. It's a bit fussy, but i find that working from each side of the carbs, while pulling the whole assembly towards me a bit, really helps. Careful not to grab the actual cables with pliers, as you can damage the cable weave, leading to frayed and possibly broken cables later on. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

No probs..actually, it's pretty hard not to have to use needlenose pliers to unhook the cables, just be easy on them...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.