Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all, I'm struggling to remove the silver trim above the headlight which I think is being held in by the rubber trim along the bottom of the windshield. It looks like the rubber has been glued in, is this normal and will I trash it if I pull it out? If so, anyone know (UK) the best place for replacement windshields and rubber trim. Also grateful if anyone has a top tip for removing this trips (silver and rubber) in case I'm just being stupid!

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
To remove the front windshield trim, you must first remove the mirrors. Gently pull back the boot on the mirror and you'll find two screws (bolts). One of these screws goes through a hole in the garnish. Once the mirrors are off, simply (that's what the book says) lift the front of garnish straight up. It's held in by a spring clip. Give it good "yank" (pun intended) and it should come right off. The rubber trim is glued to the metal portion, so don't remove it unless you really feel the need.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, have got the mirrors off ok although they are fiddly to get back on. Must be one hell of a spring clip, I've pulled pretty hard but am worried about breaking the silver trim above the headlight. I presume you pull it straight towards you, the manual seems to suggest vertically up towards the top of the windshield.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Must be one hell of a spring clip, the manual seems to suggest vertically up towards the top of the windshield.
Correct on both counts. Straight up, and it's one hell of a spring. Once you've done it, it's not a big deal. You might put a rag over the headlight and pry up with a large flat blade screw driver, but you could crack the lens.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
if you are going to start doing any levering of the garnish, I would suggest using the wide blade of something like a putty knife or a decorators scraper, ( the wider the better) as this will spread the load better. Even a decorators caulking blade would be good, they are the things with a wide stiff plastic blade, with a wooden handle.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.