Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My wife and I have talked about this several times so I'd post it here. Would it be possible to paint/change the entire color of the Gold Wing. Mine is my avatar. Its the classic brown/gold. I would love a candy apple red. I have no body shop skills much less painting skills...

Has anyone else done this... taken a bike to a shop? Is it expensive? Worth it? My seat and arm rests would all work with the new color... but I have a LOT of chrome and racks on my bike. Wife says do it, but dont want to invest $5000 in a paint job on an 85' GW. Would just shop for a newer bike in the preferred color.

What are your thoughts/opinions.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

If I had the skills, I'd do it myself. Take it to a shop and ask what it would cost, if you do the dismantling. Otherwise, I'm with you. Shop around for the color you want.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I would do my own, but I have alot of equipment and years of experience. It can be done, but if you want less stress, pay a pro shop to do it. You can save a boatload of money by tearing it down yourself. You can get it done from around $6-700, for a simple repaint, and upwards of $2,000.00 for a really sharp 3 stage candy job. That's around here, anyway. By the time you get all set up, you'd have danged near that much in it anyway, doing it yourself! Of all the paint jobs, candy is the toughest. Each pass with the gun adds color over the base color, and you start to lose the color underneath.(usually silver or gold metallic). Either way, it is an experience! I would be glad to walk you through it, should you decide to go it yourself. I have helped Bobalou and a couple others with thier DIY jobs. Drop me a PM and I can call ya! Jim (jimsjinx)

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

You could look for a tech school in your area that teaches body shop. They are always looking for things to work on or to paint. You most likely would have to buy the materials and the school would get a small fee.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

It is highly unlikely that you will find any dealer that has a paint shop. They genealy farm thyat sort of work out. You will have to dismantle your bike before any bodyshop will doit. I agree with the previous post about a tech shool or high school that offers auto body. You buy the paint, hardner & thinner plus pay for shop materials & a small fee to the school, usually about 2 or 300 bucks.:waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
imported post

For about 5K you should be able to snag a good 1500 in Candy Spectra Red, R176C. Inset panel colour is Candy Garnet Red, R199C. I bought a 97 SE earlier this year for 6K and a friend picked up a 94 SE with the same paint for less than 5K. Sell your 1200, throw in a few bucks and save yourself some headaches (literally) and spend the time riding.

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

Yes, you can do it yourself, without a compressor and all the gizmos, but it will cost you.

I repainted my 11 from the factory candywine to a nice cream. I got the paint mixed and put in shaker cans and then top coated with a two part shaker can product called K2.

Cost was about $500 including all the paint, two extra cans in the cupboard after done, sanding materials, etc.

I did have access to a "booth" to do the paining in, but it would be easy to make up your own from PVC pipe and plastic sheeting. Just don't have any ignition sources nearby while your working!

It's all in the prep. Sand, sand, then sand some more. I used Rustoleum Automotive primer, then shot it with the shaker paint. Any good auto paint supply store can mix it up for you and can it. The shaker cans have excellent spray nozzles and the K2 nozzle is as good as most paint pot guns.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

150 bucks here

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Use a roller, let's go!

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
imported post

Last winter helped a friend dismantle his 1100 for a repaint, what a pain, buy the time it was taken apart, cost of paint (no cans) he had quite a bit in it. He had parts left over wasn't sure where they went. He just shrugged his shoulders?
Orange peel, and really needed to be color sanded but its his Wing.
One thing is his is probably the only flame RED 1983 out there.
About the time involved for dismantle not to bad, for reinstall was quite a lot more.
My wife says I'm to anal about things like this.

Beside it you chose any RED it will be faster, I know:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I could remove a lot of the chrome and remove parts, but no way would attempt painting. I am checking in to two tech schools in our area to see what they have in store. They are usually backed up with people waiting.

500 - 750 doesnt sound bad at all if its a quality paint job... and I agree Bvanemon, red is FAST... LOL

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts
imported post

45/70fan wrote:
For about 5K you should be able to snag a good 1500 in Candy Spectra Red, R176C. Inset panel colour is Candy Garnet Red, R199C. I bought a 97 SE earlier this year for 6K and a friend picked up a 94 SE with the same paint for less than 5K. Sell your 1200, throw in a few bucks and save yourself some headaches (literally) and spend the time riding.

Nice colors ............. :thumbsup:

But then, I'm partial. :cheesygrin:

Yes, many have dismantled their bike's tupperweare and had it all painted, many have done it themselves. I think most dismantle saddle bags and trunk and frt fender and mirrors and remove side covers and I suspect most leave the fairing in place and mask off all that isn't destined to be painted?

Good Luck! :bow:

Attachments

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

Sinjia60 wrote:
Thats a gorgeous trike!!!!
And that's no understatement!!!!:applause::applause::applause:

·
Down
279 Posts
imported post

Ive got pretty much the same bike I'm not a big fan of brown or tan If i ever decided to change the color i would just change the bike, but then again ive rebuilt this baby almost all the way thru so no change anytime soon. cheers

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
imported post

too bad you're in Ohio...

Nasty cell phone pic, the lens is a bit cloudy from overspray. Candy Tahitian Blue, flops from electric blue to deep purple, stunning in the sunlight.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

MMMM all that mist, is the smell of money!!! Nice blue. jimsjinx

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.