Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Does anyone have a recommendation on a reliable and decent product that will repair a small tear (1/2 inch) on the side of my seat? I see tons of Miracle Vinyl Fix Everything Repair kits for sale everywhere, but no real reviews anywhere. Has anyone used anything that worked well and held up over time?

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

I used Liquid tape. Unfortunately I only did it recently so I can't give any real testimonial for it. I recall seeing some products that may give a better repair but have never tried them.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

I would love a good seat repair tip also. Hopefully someone out therecan help.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I can only tell you what works for me. I have in the past tried several of the so called Miracle repair products. All to no long term lasting repair. We even bought some of the stuff called Oxe-clean off TV, you know that stuff that will clean anything. I still tease my wife about that one, as far as we could tell it does not clean anything. :shock:

All those products work a bit, but do not hold up long term and trying to match the exact shade of the material being repaired has also always eluded me. I never get it right.

So if I do get a tear in a seat I just go and buy a spool of black thread or whatever color the seat is or as close as I can find, and try to purchase a nylon thread. Then run the thread through a block of parrifin wax, that waxes and strengthens the thread.

Then you use and over under weave, kinda like how you lace your shoes. Under the tear, then across and under the other side. Always the needle goes under the tear and over to the other side and under the other side. Take your time and make many close together small stitches and gently pull the tear together. To much pull and you pucker the material, too little and it stays open. The goal is to just pull it together and make a very neat finished repair. Some lady who sews can show you what I am talking about.

Then just coat it with regular ole shoe polish, rub it in good to stain the area and buff it off well.

Looks neat, and is not noticeable and will last a very long time. Will not be invisible, but does stop the tear from getting larger and does repair it long term.

That other stuff will last a bit, and does depend upon if it is in a stress area or not, in a stress area, I give it about a week.

Kit

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

I have had success with super glue , if you can push both sides of the tear together, I put a run of super glue on both edges then push together and hold for a few minuets, it helps if you warm the vinyl with a hairdryer first to make it supple. :waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

SHREK snr wrote:
I have had success with super glue , if you can push both sides of the tear together, I put a run of super glue on both edges then push together and hold for a few minuets, it helps if you warm the vinyl with a hairdryer first to make it supple. :waving::waving::waving:
Then what do you do to get your fingers unstuck from the seat? :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I used vinyl repair from R-H Products in Acton, MA. Worked on a 1982 Interstate seat. Put the goo in the crack, some weight distributed to push the crack together and two years later, still holds. Similar to the stuff they repair shoes with.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Mine cracked in the typical stress point where the seat rises from the driver to the passenger on the side.

By the way, the vinyl paint they sell at the NAPA store is fantastic too.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

if you have a small piece of leather or vinal cut it like a patch and slip it under the tear then insert super glue and pust the to peices of the tear together all you have is a hair line joint and the patch stops it from spreading

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

agnogel wrote:
if you have a small piece of leather or vinal cut it like a patch and slip it under the tear then insert super glue and pust the to peices of the tear together all you have is a hair line joint and the patch stops it from spreading
There you go.... was about torecommend the same. I have found that you have to back up the bond-repair in order to have it hold up at all! For your 1/2 inch cut, I would use a 2in X 2in backup patch.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Not the pretties fix, but I repaired my 1100 using some vinyle from a pleather office chair that was tossed in the trash. i cut the material off the back. I used a small patch and rubber cemented it on. It kept from ripping any further.
And the guy i sold it to was ok with the repair.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I didn't use any patch. Basically, the glue dissolves the vinyl so that when let set for 5 min and push it together, the two become one part again. I think there is some nasty stuff like MEK that eats the vinyl.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
imported post

I used a kit I got at wal mart.The kit came with different colors of the finish way more than you need.I had a couple of tares like one inch it worked great for me.It was less than ten dollars.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
imported post

I have used Liquid Stitch, I think we got it from JCWhitney. It's clear, but not invisible - However, we supported the joint with tape while it dried and it proved very strong and durable once set.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

I put some regular "OriginalSuper Glue" on a 4' cut on the top side of my seat, and after it dried, I put some clear tape over it, and it workrd wonders. Just let the tape wear itself off.
Hope this helps,
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

VA.GENT wrote:
I used a kit I got at wal mart.The kit came with different colors of the finish way more than you need.I had a couple of tares like one inch it worked great for me.It was less than ten dollars.
I used the same Walmart kit. Put the fabric in behind, filled it up with adhesive, let it sit for four hours. Filled it with the black goo, cured it with heat and the paper, and it's...well, not good as new, but certainly passable, and you won't notice it unless you look closely.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Nightrider1 wrote:
I put some regular "OriginalSuper Glue" on a 4' cut on the top side of my seat...... Nightrider1
Wow Nightrider1, that is one heck of a long cut 4' long you have one heck of a long seat. How many tubes of super glue did it take? :cheeky1:

Idid a patch with the material under the tear and glue, it worked OK, didn't really like the look of it when I was finished. Another one has started now, so I think I'll try the sewing trick this time. Me thinks the next tear and it's time for a new seat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.