Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all!!

First...deepest gratitude for all I've learned on here. Bought a somewhat running '86 1200, rebuilt and sync'd carbs, and did a poorboy conversion from info gained here. Bike now runs pretty well!! Yearning for the road I picked up a bike yesterday for my 16 year old so we could make a run for the mountains!

Short story is...after you pull a fuel pump apart...how do you reseal it? Long story below.

On the way home my bike just died, wouldn't re-start from a roll...tried...was coming down a 1 lane twisty. Got to a point to pull over and do some checking. Pulled a spark plug cap..OK..got spark. Pulled the fuel line off the right side carbs..not much gas coming out. Pump was working. Pull fuel line off pet ****..nothing..spare vacuum line came with the bike...blow into petcock a few times..AH, now we have free flow of fuel. Hoke things back up and gain about 50 miles and it just dies again. That spare vacuum line worked to bypass the fuel line with the filter and ran straight to the pump. Nothing coming out of fuel line to carb, pump is dry 'clicking' not a wet sounding 'clunking'. Something wrong in pump! Pry all the little tabs up and pull pump apart to find crystalline looking pieces lodged under one of the valves. Lots of blowing and tapping and valves look flat and uniform.

Have kid hold the pump pieces together at tight as possible and I use a rock to hammer a screwdriver to bend the tabs back down. Ready to roll!!! Open the petcock and that free flow of gas is bypassing the seal at the joint of the two pump pieces. Start the bike to see if it will consume enough to draw away the leak...no such luck. We have no way of 'clamping' the two pieces together and re-working the tabs. Standing at the side of the road staring at a barb wire fence I recall seeing how fences are mended with a tourniquet type technique. Twist two things together and it gets tighter!

Cut some rope tie it to a wrench and twist the heck out it. Hit the start button and check for leaks...dry as a bone! Put the carb feed line in a bottle found along the road...fills up pretty well! Put everything back together...couple hours later I'm home!

Anyone figure out a way to clamp the pump and bend the tabs tight enough to reseal it?

Here's the picture of my red-neck repair:

">
And this is where we 'camped'..next to the women's shower at an rv park in Yarnell, AZ!
[img]http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/gallery/40038/40038_252314_250000001.jpg

Mines a '86, his is '06, and sounds freakin' awesome! Suzuki M50, 800cc, 50hp, 584lbs wet. The things we have to do to have a riding partner! (He did fantastic! We've done lot's of enduro together, so I knew he could handle a quiet mountain route.)

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I'm afraid it is trial and error. Those pumps are sealed for life type pumps and getting them sealed tight after stripping is really a matter of luck.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

i think now that you are home, a new pump should be the best shoot. you dont want it to fail again. what you did to repair it was great and lucky it worked but just get a new pump to be safe

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,581 Posts
imported post

I agree with William. While they are still available, spend a little dough and do it right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
:praying:good to hear about repair...i basically have about the same problem....took lower end of pump apart and cleaned points....still no sound of operating...cost of new pump ranges from 500.00 to 800.00....why so much?.....has anyone tried other pumps? Pump starting getting awful hot at times...must have burnt internal mechanism....anyone have suggestions?

·
Registered
267 Posts
:praying:good to hear about repair...i basically have about the same problem....took lower end of pump apart and cleaned points....still no sound of operating...cost of new pump ranges from 500.00 to 800.00....why so much?.....has anyone tried other pumps? Pump starting getting awful hot at times...must have burnt internal mechanism....anyone have suggestions?
This seems cheaper than 5 bills......

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/speedsupplies/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=hondamc&a=84&b=51&c=0&d=-FUEL-TANK

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
You can also use an Airtex electric pump from an auto store,for around $60.Comes with a filter and short hoses,and 4 clamps.
Specify what type(carb,or fuel-injected). I've used them on motorcycles .cars,and trucks,and my cousin just put one on his boat !
I keep one as a spare for the 'Wing I have now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.