Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have secured a replacement instrument cluster for an 84I and was wondering if anyone knew what type plastic the clear lens is that covers it. It has a few cracks around the outside and I would like to use something to help weld or reinforce it so that they don't get any worse since these things are not easily replaceable. Ideas?

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

I don't know. But I've seen some owners drill a tiny hole at the end of each crack to stop it traveling further.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

My 83A has some problems with the meter lens as well. Unfortunately the are "NLA" at Honda. If there are any replacemnts available or a way to restore it please let me know.

THANKS!!!

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

fgh wrote:
My 83A has some problems with the meter lens as well. Unfortunately the are "NLA" at Honda. If there are any replacemnts available or a way to restore it please let me know.

THANKcS!!!
I had to buy a used speedometer to get a replacement for my 83. I don't know the type of plastic they used.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
imported post

You might check with Greens motorcycle salvage in Ky. I was up there not long ago, maybe 3 weeks and he had some 1200's and i thought I some instrument clusters intact. 270-879-8979. The guy you should ask for is Orville

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

If the cracks are where they won't be seen, you can use some water thin Acrylic adhesive on it. It melts the joins together but will instantly give a crystal look anywhere it touches.

You also use ABS patches with VHB adhesive backing on them to bridge the gaps but they aren't clear.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

depending on how courageous you're feeling, you could pick up some thin lexan and gently heat it into shape just replacing the lense all together. I've never tryed it, but the idea seems sound.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.