Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Repair Manuals

1K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  wpgfire 
#1 ·
imported post

I am looking to buy a repair manual for my wing. Which manual do you own for your 1500SE Goldwing.

Cylmer 847 pages $39.93

or

Haynes 247 pages $24.70

I know go for more pages for the little extra price. But are all those pages filled with worth while information is the question at hand..

MOXIE

Moxie

#4 ·
imported post

I worked for many years as a mechanic, first on cars then on motorcycles. I wouldn't take a Haynes manual if they paid ME $24.70. I'll buy a Chilton or a Clymer if the professional manual is out of reach.
Put a wanted ad on Craigslist. I've got a Factory 1100, 1200, and 1800 manual that way, all for under $25 each. Paid a little more for the 1500 book, but still less than half of retail. Still looking for a GL1000 one.

BTW, anybody got a 2004 Subaru Forester factory manual set they want to sell?

#5 ·
imported post

Back in the 60's I thought Haynes manuals were pretty good (for cars). But I think they're junk now. I have a Clymer, which I carry in the saddlebag and a genuine shop manual at home. The Clymer is quite good. I think I paid $90 or so for the shop manual. It has much more detail - especially for wiring. But you'll need a lot of patience and scotch to wade through the wiring diagrams. One good thing about the shop manual is that it's specific to the year of your bike. Clymer covers many years. Bag the notion of buying a Haynes though. They're close to worthless.

#7 ·
imported post

The Honda Shop manual is the best if you can find one... I have both Clymer and Haynes for my truck and I find very little difference between the two and neither one comes close to the detail of a manufacturers shop manual...

Les

#8 ·
imported post

I recommend at least two manuals. Haynes wouldn't be one of them. I often find misprints in the Clymers specs or need a second view of something.

I like the Honda shop manuals for procedures and specs but I like the Clymers schematics better for chasing harnesses down then back to the Honda for the area specific schematics and connector numbers.

#10 ·
imported post

I guess I have just had some bad experience with the Clymers and Chiltons manuals because I am one that likes the Haynes manuals if no Factory manual is available.

I bought a Clymers for my Yamaha Virago 750 years ago and was sadly disappointed.

I carry a Haynes in the truck of my GL1500 but have the factory manuals on the GL1500 and GL1800 as well as my ST1100. Someone said that you would need a lot of patience and scotch to wade through the wiring diagrams in the factory manual. Well, from what I have seen, the aftermarket manuals are copies of the factory manual but not detailed enough. Besides, after many years of following Military Aircraft wiring diagrams in Tech Manuals, the Honda manual is a snap.

Your choice on manuals but I highly recommend the Factory manual.

#13 ·
imported post

Larry, I love your tag line.

#14 ·
imported post

RESULTS HAVEBEEN DETERMINEDFOR THISPOST
(Service manual and Cylmer)

Thanksto all of youfor your suggestions on manuals for my 1500SE. I have always been the person that wants a back up to everything after owning a boat and deep sea fishing of the coast of Washington. I have two of everything on board. (Only one wife Though) ifyour out there reading my posts. I am ordering my Cylmer today and will be receiving theservice manual any day now. Thanks all for your direction and hope to be able to reply more to others posts as soon as I get through the winter shack down and see what these wings are all about. This winter will be filled withfun and excitement learning ins and outs of the bike while planning next summers trips.

I would like to give a special thanks to"wpgfire" forhis two cent worth, That was great advice you gaveto persuade meinpurchasingthe service manual to.

Thanks again
MOXIE

#15 ·
imported post

briese wrote:
Larry, I love your tag line.
Thanks, I like it also. It is not original though but I don't remember where I first saw it. Unfortunately, that is the way most of our current politicians think.

#16 ·
imported post

I have a 1995 Honda Service manual & electrical troubleshooting manual that was purchased in 95 for the Wing I had at that time. It is the regular Honda manual for all 95 wings.I was going to put it on Craigslist for $40 plus S.H. You can e-mail me if interested.

#17 ·
imported post

Moxie wrote:
This winter will be filled withfun and excitement learning ins and outs of the bike...
One more recommendation I'd make ....

I'm as cheap as the next guy and hate putting out cash needlessly but I do have to say that the Illustrated Powersports DVDs on the 1500 have been an immense help in learning all about my bike. I'm a visual learner and the DVDs have helped where the manuals have fallen short. Highly recommend them, even though I didn't pay for mine. They were a Christmas gift.

GL1500 Maintenance DVDs

Enjoy your winter. And its not too late to put in that Christmas wish to Santa. :santawaving:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.