Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

When repairing improperly connected splices on my GL1200, I stumbled across these at my local marine hardware store and decided to try them out.

They are made by ANCHOR MARINE GRADE PRODUCTS and are called: Thermo Retractable Connectors. They look similar to your standard butt connector, but are wrapped in colored coded heat shrink. Simply crimp and heat. They work extremely well and are fast and easy to use.

The connectors shown are for 16 to 14 AWG wire. I've had really good luck with them so far. They seal real tight to keep out moisture and prevent corrosion. A definate thumbs up!

:thumbsup:

Scooby1956

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

I've used those or similar to repair under ground wiring on irrigation systems.
Some of those connections are twenty plus years old and I've yet to see one fail.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

I have gotten them at the local Ace Hardware store.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Is it just a hairdryer heats them, or do you need a special heating tool?

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

englishted wrote:
Is it just a hairdryer heats them, or do you need a special heating tool?
Heat shrink tubing requires a lot more heat than a hair dryer could ever put out. If you're careful, just a plain cigarette lighter will work. Takes some patience to shrink the tubing without melting it by overheating.

I have a couple of heat guns, but I have used all kinds of heat sources to shrink the tubing.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

Harbor freight had really nice heat guns on sale last week for $9.95 and I bought one... Works great

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I agree that I know of no hair dryer that is going to work.
As suggested, Harbor Freight has a micro Torch that works really well.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

So butt connector with heat shrink tubing on it ..uhmm easy enough to make your own.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
imported post

I like to use the butt connectors that have heat shrink tubing AND solder in it. Crimp the wires in and heat up and the solder flows and the tubing shrinks. Makes for a realy good connection. Can get them at most auto parts stores.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

We sell them at the Home Depot aswell

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.