Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Back about a month ago, I had ran to the hospital to visit an uncle and had forgotten to lock down my left saddlebag lid. It was late and I couldn't find it and I had a bunch of 18 wheelers behind me when it blew off into the hwy. I called Gary from Starkville and asked him if he could ride out where it blew off and see if he could find anything.

Well, he found all four pieces of the lid broken completely into and I went and picked them up from him hoping I could glue them all back together.

I forgot to take a pic of the four pieces separated but I did take one of them all glued together.

Here is another view of the pieces glued back using Black ABS glue and I also used some plastic weld to help fill all of the gaps.

I then used some fiberglass mixed Bondo to lay a heavy coat all over the entire lid. I sanded it down using a grinder disc and then smoothed it out and used regular Bondo on it before I sprayed the paint.

Here are a few of the final results. I had to wiggle it around a little and use some heat to get it to fit just right, but I like the final results.

I used a Hammertone paint that you can spray at any angle and fills in imperfections because this thing was hard to get a really smooth finish before priming. I really like the way it looks on the bike so far. All in all, this took about a week of gluing and allowing it to dry and doing all the sanding and priming and painting. I bought a complete set of saddlebags and lids from Rob the Hillbilly and that is my next project when it warms up in the spring. I plan to keep this set just in case I do something stupid again, but at least I tethered the lids this time so hopefully they will never blow off again while driving down the road!

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

LOL that was on mine when the lid blew off!! The bags I got from Rob the Hillbilly had the easiest I had seen.

Take a solderless crimp on spade with the round hole and crimp it onto each end of a length of pretty good nylon cording and then just place it on the screws before you tighten the latch back onto the lid. On the bolt where the lock is, simply remove the nut and place the spade on it and tighten the nut back on. Like I said, simple fix and it works great.

I got the ABS glue info from one of your post GS, thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

kudos cntryboy1289. Nice fix.

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
imported post

Excellent job. Never ceases to amaze me what some people can do in the way of restoration.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
imported post

Nice job Jeff :) :)
It makes you really respect what those body guys can do.:action::action:

·
Deceased 1/2017
1,206 Posts
imported post

The lid you fixed look really good, can't even tell that anything happened to them!

I had forgotten about putting those on those lids. I actually "stole" that idea from a guy that had a BMW and had his fixed that way.

First day I have felt good enough to do much and it's nice weather, and sunny and warm and I still don't feel like riding that just bites!!

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Rob, we got to get you down off the mountain into some of our weather buddy, been above 70 all week long!! Sorry to hear you still under the weather buddy!

I had a little problem getting it to fit just right. The inner lip had to be bent out a good bit in places so the lid would go down all the way. A little trial fitting and a heat gun and it fit just about perfect. Still had to allow it to sit in the sun today with teh locks on to get it to finally sit just right.

I had to run to Columbus today and I had to pull under an awning to put my Frogg Toggs on and when I took the lid off to get them out, it went right back on without any help at all so I call it good to go.

I plan to wait until this spring to put the bags I bought from you on since I need to paint them to match the bike and I plan on changing the color when I do so I will need to wait for some warm weather.

I wouldn't do paint and body work on anything other than my own stuff for sure! I would go broke in an hour if I did. LOL!!

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

cntryboy1289 wrote:
LOL that was on mine when the lid blew off!! The bags I got from Rob the Hillbilly had the easiest I had seen.

Take a solderless crimp on spade with the round hole and crimp it onto each end of a length of pretty good nylon cording and then just place it on the screws before you tighten the latch back onto the lid. On the bolt where the lock is, simply remove the nut and place the spade on it and tighten the nut back on. Like I said, simple fix and it works great.

Unfortunately, my GL1100 has latches that are fastened on with rivets - no screws. I don't really want to drill one out and replace it, so I'm thinking of gluing in some kind of mounting point and fastening a nylon strap to it somehow. Still thinking about just how to do it, though.

·
Deceased 1/2017
1,206 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
cntryboy1289 wrote:

Unfortunately, my GL1100 has latches that are fastened on with rivets - no screws. I don't really want to drill one out and replace it, so I'm thinking of gluing in some kind of mounting point and fastening a nylon strap to it somehow. Still thinking about just how to do it, though.

Take some of the 5 minute epoxy and put the ring terminal over the rivet and then coat with the epoxy. That will hold it really well. Just a thought.:action:

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

You did a great job !!!!!!!!, are you busy next week????....:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:..... I'm working on the same route on my side covers too....I bought 2 ft of this brass chain ??.. Can't recall the exact name, my CRS has kicked in this morning, but I'm drilling a 3/16th inch hole in my side covers, use stainless steel screws into side covers, putting this chain into a rubber split wiring harness tubing and cutting this chain at 4 in long, with a small sheet metal screw into the frame or some thing near that cover..Been thinking of doing the same on my saddle bag lids too....I've seen the prices for a battery side cover here as high as $125.00....I don't want to lose mine.....

I took several years of Auto Body and Paint at one of our local Community Colleges and taught that course for a year, while our instructor was out having by heart pass surgery, and recovering....I know what a pain it can be to get body work to look right, especially if a student brought in a rusted out or badly damaged car and wanted a Rolls Royce at the end of his project...I've seen students buy after market fenders and door skins and have to cut some times as much as an inch off of them to make them fit....:shock:.....Made in China....

Now I'm not able to do the sanding and body work like I used to could do, my arthritis in my shoulders kicks in, and it takes me much much longer to finish sanding and doing the body work I need done on my Wings....The guy shooting them is doing some rather high dollar custom paint work, so no lumps, bumps, or sanding marks can be left....But you did a great looking job....

Claude....

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

Claude, I had a hard time getting all the pin holes to take the glaze and hold it on the broken lid. I tried several attempts and finally sanded the area down and refilled it with Bondo and sanded the area flat again. Still had a few holes which is why I chose the hammertone paint since it was supposed to fill imperfections.

I might could have fooled with it longer and got it smoothed out like I wanted it, but I would go broke so fast trying to do this for a living.

Great story on the Cobra, I would love to fall into a deal like that one day!

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

That's some STRONG WORK! I am very impressed.

With your talents for paint, which I don't have, I think I'd be tempted to try sanding it down again, just once more and repaint it.

I'd be aiming for a smoother texture. (but that's just me.)

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
imported post

The hammertone came from a rattle can, decided not to fool with a lot of money on these lids right now because I bought the sadllebag set from Rob.

·
Registered
46 Posts
imported post

Wow!!! Great job!! That does not look like the pieces I found on the roadside. It be look'n good!

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

cntryboy1289,
Darn Goog Job you done there. Honda should have put a tether on them from the start. You cannot even tell it was even broken. I wish I was that talented!
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
imported post

Thanks Nightrider1, I would imagine most guys could do the same job if they just wrap their heads around what needs to be done. I used a little help from the wife, some alligator type clamps, duct tape, heat gun, and my die grinder to get it to all go back together like it should.

The hardest part was getting the sliced area on the front in the pic with the plastic weld on it. It was a broken area inside of a broken off piece. It was right below the area where the latched bolts through. It was bent and pushed inside out and I had to cut it back and use the heat gun to warm it up enough to get it to go back like it was supposed to. I actually had to use the die grinder to grind away some of the plastic to get it to align just right and had to use the clamps to allow it to harden in places to get it to stay that way.

I guess breaking all of those glass vases and other things and having to glue them all back together to keep from getting into trouble as a kid helped out a lot here....lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.