Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all,

It's been a while since I was here but I have a problem I need some help with.

I recently tried to update my GPS unit to the newest maps and firmware (2012 and 4.5) and in doing so I broke a pin in the card reader. The unit will now not read the new nor the old card. It still works with the basics.:shock:

Garmin will NOT work on the unit and Honda hasn't got a clue. I'm guessing I'm not the first dummy to do this. Has anyone been successful in or know anyone that has completed repairs on this unit? I have a 2006 model.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
imported post

You aren't the first to break a pin in the GPS. Sierra may be your best option. They can repair the unit at a reasonable cost, and they turn them around fast.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

I assume Honda will fix it for the price of a new 1800.

The problem with consumer electronics is that usually it's cheaper to throw stuff away and buy new. You need to find a smallindustrial electronics company that might consider doing the work. A lot will depend on whether the damaged piece is a standard or was custom made for Garmin / Honda.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I knew that Sierra worked on the radio, CB and intercom units but was unaware they did the GPS units also. I will check with them. I know they do good work.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
imported post

Send a PM to Wayne, he is a Sierra rep and a member of this forum. Wayne will be able to clarify if Sierra can repair Goldwing GPS units.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I will try that but I just sent an email to the Sierra site also.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
imported post

I PM'd Wayne about this, as it concerns a lot of owners. Wayne told me that Sierra don't repair the Sat-Navs, but Honda do have a repair policy with Garmin.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Zeke66 wrote:
You aren't the first to break a pin in the GPS. Sierra may be your best option. They can repair the unit at a reasonable cost, and they turn them around fast.
According to Sierra they do NOT work on the GPS.:thumbsdown:

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

JWayne wrote:
I PM'd Wayne about this, as it concerns a lot of owners. Wayne told me that Sierra don't repair the Sat-Navs, but Honda do have a repair policy with Garmin.
Already asked the dealers in the area and they don't have a clue.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
imported post

rb7632 wrote:
Already asked the dealers in the area and they don't have a clue.
They probably haven't come across the problem before. The deal is the defective unit has to go to Garmin through a Honda dealer.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

. . I'd be surprised if Garmin worked on this unit. It's not a Garmin piece. It's actually a Navman. Garmin just supplies the software. I believe it's a 3 ring circus,(Honda, Navman, Garmin) that's why it takes sooo long to get anything done, like updates, and fixes.

Here's one place that may be a possibility for a fix of pins. Is one of your pins still stuck in card? May have to send card with it.

Hi-Tech Electronic Services
7049 Valjean Ave.
Van Nuys, CA 91406 800-580-3376

added Hitech

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

Might try a self repair if you're handy with an iron. If I were doing it I think I'd go to the local store and buy a cheap card reader that has a slot which supports CF cards (the pins inside will be identical to what is in the gps unit). Disassemble (or crack open) the reader and using some solder wick desolder the connector (rack of pins) from the board as a whole then open the gps unit, desolder, and replace the connector. Use an anti-static strap and an 18 watt iron with some 60/40 rosin core solder.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.