Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:? Hi all I`ve just recieved my 2 new honda replacment front pipes and just happen to notice that on the offside pipe(footbrake side) that there is a ring welded just inside the outlet, it appears to be a restictor.I`ve heard of retrictors in calafornian models not sure if it was 1500`s is this it ?should I knock this out as to me one side of the bike will be breathing more freely than the other hence will not run as a balanced unit .

would welcome someones comment on this, thanking all

Peter:D

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

The Californai pipes have the restrictor in the pipes, but I thought there was one on each side. Is it possible that your dealer sold you one UK set and oneCalifornia set?

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thats what is crossing my mind but being inUK and having the pipes from the USA its not going to be practical to send them back I am thinking of just knocking out the resrictor (the pipes where cheaper to get fromUSA)

Peter

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Just knock the washer out and be thankful you only had to knock out the one!

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

I often wondered why Honda always insisted on just welding a washer into only 1 pipe on California bikes. Surely it would make more sense to keep everything balanced by putting washers with bigger holes into all the pipes? Sems to me that it would result in less pressure being put on any one cylinder. :baffled:

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Well Ben it seems these manufacturas always do things that don`t appear to be logical to most people.

Anyway have knock out washer ten minute job, used a small grinding wheel on end of drill to grind off weld blobs then knock out washer,ready to fit now.

cheers

Peter

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Just noticed you mentioned the offside being on the footbrake side, I use the same term for the right side of a vehicle too, but being in the US would have thought the British offside would have been on the left.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Over here the term offside is used to describe the side of the vehicle furthest from the kerb.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

I remember some people with old 1980 or 81 GL1100s. Some of them had restricted speedometers, they only went up to about 85mph. The needle just stopped there when you went faster. I think they might havebeen California models.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

weewillywing wrote:
I remember some people with old 1980 or 81 GL1100s. Some of them had restricted speedometers, they only went up to about 85mph. The needle just stopped there when you went faster. I think they might havebeen California models.
Those models used to see the speedo cables breaking all the time from the strain. The 85 speedo was one of those ideas best consigned to history and frogotten about forever.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.