Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
27,886 Posts
Go to the how to videos and find the 1200 timing belt tutorial, the PGs are next to the crankshaft.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
The pulse gens on the 84 are at the rear of the engine I dont think they were at the front untill the 1500 model

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
The pulse gens on the 84 are at the rear of the engine I dont think they were at the front untill the 1500 model
right on the 84..... 85+ gl1200's are located at the front with the timing belts... unless I have been changing something else out for the past 25 years

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
The 84 was the only 1200 with pulse generators in the rear.
In 85 they were moved to the front.

·
Administrator
27,886 Posts

You are going to have to work pretty hard to catch me in a mistake like that. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
It is a pity that there is not a removable 'window' access panel in the rear of the 84 motor to get at these PG's.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Thanks for the correction, shame I cant get my hands on an 85 motor!
Are you looking for a slightly easier fix if that 1:100,000 chance that you have a pulse generator failure happens or are you looking for the lower gearing of the post 84 1200's?:?:?

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
This is just a thought that might help someone out there sometime who is searching on the topic of pulse generators on the '84's.

I was having what looked like a problem with my pulse generators on a previous bike ('84 Interstate). After sweating the possibility of having to pull the motor to get at them, and wishing I had an '85-'87 with the PG's by the front pulley, I went in to change the timing belts and... there were the pulse generators right off the pulley.

Well, after a little investigative work it turns out unbeknowst to me, in the 25+ year history of the bike someone had swapped out the engine and put in an '87 motor.

Moral of the story to new owners, check your engine serial numbers before anything! Here's a schematic that might help:

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-gl1200-gold-wing-usa_model1077/partslist/SERIAL.html

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
The pulse generator for gl1200 is no longer available from Honda. If that is your problem good luck.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
The pulse generator for gl1200 is no longer available from Honda. If that is your problem good luck.
Maybe not for the LTD or SEI 1200s, They use a different number than the carb models and it says call for price on the fiche, which usually means no longer available through Honda.

But

I just verified they are in the LA warehouse for the 1985-87 GL1200 Aspencade & Interstates

#18 GENERATOR, PULSE 30300-ML8-680 ($102.96 list$) $73.62

http://www.westernhonda.com/fiche_s...=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1986&fveh=132540

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fire and no fire, GL1200

i replaced the pulse generators on my 1985 GL1200 interstate with some that i took off a parts bike i bought, to see if it was thw pulse generators were causing my bike just shut off after going 50 miles. just shut off and would not restart to the next morning inwhich it run pretty rough. then i come on here and was advised that could be pulse generators. when i got through it started and ran great..then the next morning it would not start and i checked ad discover it was not getting any spark. due to other things beyond my control i been down since last sept, i am ready to ride but do not want to buy another bike ,just because of the fact i love my baby --please help

(

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Pulse generators are the usual suspect. If you checked for spark at the plugs when the engine died and you don't have spark at any of them, pulse generators are more likely than say a bad ignition coil (which would only kill spark at two plugs, unless by some fluke both ignition coils die together). Next suspect would be the ECU itself, which is where the pulse generators get their power from.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
dano955, I have merged your new thread on this subject into your original one.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
It seems odd that both pulse g's or coils would go out together. I'm not familiar with 1200 electronics, but I would spend some time checking ignition source wiring. Another thought, unlikely, but is there a chance you PG's are too close or too far from crank wheel?.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Might be obvious...make sure the kill switch is in the run position. If so, I usually start troubleshooting right at the ignition unit. Nearly every ignition wire converges at that one location. Begin by unplugging connector and check for battery VDC on the black/white wire harness side when the key is on and kill switch is in run.

·
Administrator
27,886 Posts
Also check that the PG connections are tight, I had one do that to me and it was just the terminals loose.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
If the pulse generators are at the rear the 4 wire PG connector is to the left of the battery next to the 3 yellow wire connector. If the PG is at the front the PG 4 wire connector is up under the shelter next to the ECU.
So if you pull the battery side cover off and there is only one connector to the left of the battery, the 3 yellow wire, then the engine is an 85 or newer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.