Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all,

Last week I brought home my recently acquired '75 GL1000. It is a cosmeticly clean, complete and original example, and I consider myself honored to have a bike like this to bring back to road worthiness. I've restored other bikes in the past, most recently a 1978 CB750F SuperSport. I know I've got the usual "old bike" stuff to do on it before I even try starting it. It has sat (indoors)since 1993 and shows 40K miles on the clock.

Today a buddy of mine came over to look at it, and before you could say WindJammer III the toolbox was out. We removed the plugs, shot some Marvel Mystery Oil down the cylinders, installed a battery, and cranked briefly. While removing the boots from the plugs, two of the four cables came out of their respective boots. When we pushed them back together and stuck the plugs back in, there was good spark on all four cylinders. Good news indeed.

Since I haven't come across this issue before on the CB750F, I'm wondering what to do here. Should I replace the entire spark plug cable assembly, or simply clip a couple mm off the ends of the cables, and reinsert?

Thanks for your input, and a fantastic forum.

Paul Cook
Haslett, MI

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Since the wires are pretty much permanently attached to the coils, I'd just cut a couple millimeters off and install new plug caps. The plug caps have resistors in them that can go bad... they were bad on my '77. The wires themselves are probably in good shape.

NGK makes caps that will fit.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
imported post

On my 77 gl1000 The wires don't come off thecoil My 3-4 coil was bad, I used a coil from a 79 cb750f and it worked great, Bought some new bulk wires from the honda dealer and just stuck them into the old boots worked great,

All there is in the boots is a spike that the wires push onto, I guess that's how there suppose to be. I got great spark on all four, now I just gotta get the carbs right

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

When you cut the HT wires Paul, if they are nice and shiny inside then they will probably last for ages more. If they are crumbly and corroded tehn you will need to think about replacing them altogether.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Look inside the plug cap where the wire fits. It may look like a screw with a point at the end. The cap will screw onto the plug wire. As you screw it on, the pointed screw in the cap will cause the plug wire to swell, making a nice snug fit. Just don't overtighten!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.