Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Replaced GL1100 stator, won't start, backfires through carb?

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  jshfchtr 
#1 ·
imported post

Hi, I'm new to the forum :waving:. I've got a 1980 GL1100. Last week I replaced the stator and since then I haven't gotten the bike to run since. When I try to start it the bike sounds like its not getting fuel, then backfires through the carb. I've checked everything on the carb and can't find a vacuum leak and the timing is right on. what else could it be?

#2 ·
imported post

Did you put the pulse generators back in the wrong locations? A buddy of mine did that once with a 1200. The pulse generators are sided, left and right. Put them in wrong and the engine will backfire and not start.
The way he fixed it was to swap the wires around at the connector block. It beat doing it the hard way and taking the engine back out.

#4 ·
imported post

i just did mine last summer

check the ground and check the vacume hose to the pulse generator also check the carbs make sure all the linkages are connected as they should be

dont worry aout timing,or anything like that you didnt mess with that when you pulled it apart i assume

#5 ·
imported post

The vacuum hose is intact and in place and I only removed 2 grounds which were cleaned and put back in. The linkage was never taken out, I hung the carbs with twine and pulled the motor out from underneath them. My father-in-law told me I may have misaligned the distributor shaft on the back cover of the motor and it may have thrown the spark timing off. Does that sound logical?

#6 ·
imported post

you could have but then the rear case wouldnt have bolted up

when i did mine i was being gentle when i put it together if the shaft wasnt aligned right the rear case sits about 1/8th inch away from mating correctly

i maybe wrong you didnt hit the pulse generator when pulling or putting the motor in?

#7 ·
imported post

I may have knocked the pulse generator while pulling the engine, this is the first time I've pulled a goldwing engine and had to put the same engine back in. I'll pull the engine and check the shaft alignment and pulse generator tomorrow.

Are there any tricks to getting the shafts aligned correctly?

#8 ·
imported post

You put the primary (low voltage wires) wires on the coils reversed. In other words you have the left coil primary wires hooked to the right coil and vice verse. Or you plugged the front 2 cylinders into the left coil and the rear cylinders into the right side coil. In effect you have it 180 degrees out of time.

#9 ·
imported post

Did you take the right side timing belt off? A lot of mechanics take the belt covers and right belt and camshaft sprocket off, to make more room for the engine to come out and avoid damaging parts.
I just wonder if you did have the belt off, is it back on properly?

#10 ·
imported post

I pulled the motor and checked everything. I did have the shafts misaligned but I got everything straight and put back together. However, the bike still won't start. It is acting as if it is out of time. I can't even get it to fire on a shot of ether straight to the intake.

I didn't remove the spark plug wires from the coils and didn't remove either timing belts so I don't understand how my timing could be off. All plugs got plugged back in where they went before, and the only new parts are stator, starter, and starter solenoid.

#12 ·
imported post

It was neither the coil nor the wiring at fault. I used a spare GL1200 pulse generator shaft I had laying in the scrap bin instead of replacing the pin in the original shaft. Everything seemed to line up, but when I checked the pulse generator's magnet alignment I knew the spark couldn't have been timed right. I swapped shafts and replaced the sheared pin and all is good now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.