Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

About a month ago I retorqued my steering head bearing, although the bike felt good, I was stillgetting a low speed wobble on decel when I lighten up on the handlebars (translation, let go of the handlebars).

Today I replaced the head bearings with all balls from cyclemax and I torqued the adjustment nut to 19 lb instead of the required 14lb. The bike feels real good, no wandering on the highway (sympton if bearings too tight) and Icould not recreate the low speed wobble.

Thanks to this great site I was very comfortable doing this job myself. I was reading and reading about how to do the job to a point where I was dreaming about it, so I figured I better get it done so I can clear my mind for the next job.

The bike has 180,000 KM so the original bearings were proberly shot.

Since I found this site my bike has never been in a shop for repairs.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

yeah did the same to my 99 1500 2 years ago, torqued to 25ftlb with allballs bearings, u can let go of the handlebars at any speed now.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

yeah its a popular brand for bearings, their sold at all of the goldwing accessory parts stores.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Glad you got her all better now! ;)

I too find this sight to be of immense value almost weekly when it comes to fixes, maintenance, mods, or just sheer riding enjoyment. :)

I was stillgetting a low speed wobble on decel when I lighten up on the handlebars (translation, let go of the handlebars).

In any case .... new or old, ball or roller bearings ... no matter ...
... not a good (translation, safe) practice simply because you are letting go at a time when the front end is at it's lowest in relation to the back and this reduces trail which is the stabilizing feature of a motorcycle's front end. It is the point when they are most likely to wobble ... if ever.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
634 Posts
Mine next...

This is on my "to do" list as well..
120,000 miles and they are feeling 'notchy' ...
This winter is going to be busy if I can keep the garage warm enough...:cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.