Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Howdy y'all,

So I got my spark units. They look good, no melting of the epoxy at all. I installed them, and I still don't have any spark. I've checked all 4 (1 at a time) spark plugs, and don't have spark to any of them. This bike has sat for 15 years, and we were told it ran fine when it was parked.

Anyone have any ideason what I should check next?:baffled:I don't know whether to check the2 coils, orsomething else. I would appreciate any help/advice. Its perfect riding weather here in Texas, and its killing me that this thing won't fire.:stumped:

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

BRowan wrote:
It's unusal for all 4 cylinders not to spark. Have you checked the wires from the ignition?
Which wires do you mean. The wires from the Spark Units to the ignition coils? or the wires from the ignition switch. This is all new to me. I've never had a problem not getting spark before.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

You got me, but all 4 no sparky tells me the common function has failed. Personally I would bake my amps for a couple hours in a warm oven to see if vapor comes out. If the bike actually sat for a number of years, you could also blame failure of dielectrics from wire insulation to compounds that only have a 3 year shelf life. Go through all components and verify each, unsure stop and make sure.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Hi ttexastim! You might try checking the voltage at the coil primary to see if there's any 12V pulses getting there. On quick and dirty way to check the coils is to clip a wire onto your battery, and momentarily touch it to the terminal on the coil that's not grounded or tied together. Do that after you have disconnected the normal lead from the coil. If you have one plug out and connected tothat coil's HV lead laid on the engine to get a ground you ought to see a spark when you tap the 12V lead onto the coil. If that works then go backward from there. It is unlikely both coils have failed, it could be your ignition switch or dare I say it your kill switch either inadvertently left off or a failure in the switch or wiring. You'd really have an easier time with this problem if you had a manual with a schematic to follow.

It would help if you'd put your bike's year and model in your signature line on your profile so that we'd know which one it is.

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the switch up on the handle bar[right side next to throttle].If it has been setting for a long time you might have a bug nest in that switch. Where is campbell tx?

Welcome to the forum. please go check the event section cause there is going to be a texas meeting in Driftwood Tx [all are invited to attend].

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
imported post

Have you recently changed or adjusted the timing belts?
Did you happen to touch the pulse generator?
And Yes, do check the coils and do the easiest method of them all.
The Deduction method.
Your ignition system is not that complicated so, start with the obvious.
The gaps in your plugs.
The ends of your plugs and the plug caps, look for corrosion.
The spark plug wires.
The coils check their values,
The pulse generator,
The ignition timing,
Any safety switches or sensors that turns the ignition on/off,
The Engine stop switch.
Make sure that all the values are in the range recommended by Honda,
Make sure you have good earth and connection between every connector, wire, etc.
There may be some corrosion between connectors since you are dealing with electricity you will always have some corrosion somewhere.
Remove and clean all contacts and do not use normal grease or oils on any connector, ONLY Special electrical grease is to be used on connectors.

Then and only then, If all is working and seems to be OK, BUT it still does not ignite. Start all over again. You just missed something.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

These are some great tips. I think I know how to approach this thing now. Thanks to y'all for the heads up. :clapper:

Exavid, I thought the make and model of my bike was showing up. DARN COMPUTERS! ;) This bike is a 1981 GL1100 Interstate. Newest bike I've ever worked on! :cool:

Hey Litfuse! Campbell TX is smack in the middle of Dallas and Texarkana. Right on I-30. Nice quite place. Can't wait to ride through some of these FM roads. Real pretty landscape (trees, lakes, blue bonnets). Good to meet a fellow Texan. :D (I wasn't born here, but I got here as quick as I could! :goofygrin: )

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

ttexastim wrote:
Exavid, I thought the make and model of my bike was showing up. DARN COMPUTERS! ;) This bike is a 1981 GL1100 Interstate. Newest bike I've ever worked on! :cool:
Sorry ttexastim, the problem was a short between the headsets at my end. For some reason I never noticed before that when you had the Post entry box up and scrolled back down to read someting in the thread the signature line doesn't show up.

I don't know why it took me only 8200+ posts to notice this.:cheeky1::cheeky1::baffled::goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

I remember I 30. Coming out of Dallas the day the speed limit went to 70 for trucks. There was a state trooper toeing the white line and shakeing his finger at me. I just moved over into the left lane and hammered on.The poor old truck I was in would only do 69.

I am down here in the southeast corner of the state.Bred, born, raised , will be buried here Texan

Do you need any parts? I have a parts bike that I am slowly get rid of,need anything let me know.Got a smattering of other parts also. Fred

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

ttexastim wrote:
Howdy y'all,

So I got my spark units. They look good, no melting of the epoxy at all. I installed them, and I still don't have any spark. I've checked all 4 (1 at a time) spark plugs, and don't have spark to any of them. This bike has sat for 15 years, and we were told it ran fine when it was parked.

Anyone have any ideason what I should check next?:baffled:I don't know whether to check the2 coils, orsomething else. I would appreciate any help/advice. Its perfect riding weather here in Texas, and its killing me that this thing won't fire.:stumped:

Thanks for the help.
Ttexastim, when you said you checked all 4 spark plugs one at a time did you have the other spark plugs in & hooked up? Your Wing uses a lost spark type system with TWO spark plugs per coil so one spark plug MUST be hooked up & grounded to see a spark on the other spark plug on that coil (basically one spark plug on a coil is the ground path for the other plug on that coil)..

Other than that you MUST have power to the coils & your spark boxes must intermittently ground & open the coils other (non powered)terminal..

Use a 12 volt test light..
-First, turn the ign switch on & probe both of the coil's power supply side (you MUST have 12 volts there with the ign switch turned on)..
-Then, place the test light's ground clamp on the battery's (+) post,,then probe (one at a time) the coils terminals that go to the ign boxes, do thiswhile cranking the engine (the test light must flash off & on as you crank)..

If you don't have power TO the ign coils find out why (possible open connector, bad wire, or bad ign switch, or faulty kill switch)...

If you have powerTO the ign coils but the ign box side of the coil doesn't flash the test light off & on while cranking you have other problems like bad ign boxes, no power to the ign boxes (check for that),, bad or improperly connected pulse generators,, other wiring issues..

Test what you can & once you find the fault area we can advise further on where to proceed from there..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Howdy everyone. :waving:

So I finally got my father-in-law to bring his bike up to my house so I can work on it myself. (I don't make it down to Houston very often) Today, I started to debug this problem, and found the error in the first place my Haynes book told me to look (Many of you mentioned this too). The problem was with the ignition switch. I took it apart and noticed one of the leads from the switch had broken off. I resoldered it on, and presto, spark city. This great bike fired up on the first try when I put the plugs back in. This made me feel good since I cleaned the carbs myself. :clapper:

Things got real smoky for a while while 15 years of crap burned off the exhaust pipes, and I was blowing smoke for a bit too. After a few minutes of reving the engine, things calmed down and the smoke disappeared. The bike won't idle at all, so I think a tune up is in order. I will probably let the professionals do this, and have them inspect the bike for road safety. I don't want to have anything fail when I hit the road for the first time. 15 years of sitting is enough to scare me!

Thanks for all the help. I'll post some pics once I get the bike back together.
This forum is the best tool I've found for fixing this bike. THANKS!!! :D

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
imported post

Hey ttexastim:waving: Nice work. :clapper:

15 years sitting still means a lot of work ahead of you. You can bet for sure, that most of the rubber will need replaced. Forks seals, vacuum lines, brake calipers, etc. Get the safety stuff first. Have your mechanic help you, if you need.

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

Good deal about getting it running.Hope you have the same kind of luck with the rest of your bike. Need some parts send me a pm,I have an 1100 parts bike I am parting out. Fred

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
imported post

Speaking of born in Texas, I hail from Denison, Texas, haven't been back to look around since I was born. Since both my parents were born in Oklahoma, I guess you would call me a transplanted Oky. but I always thought of myself as a Texan.

Sorry I didn't post before he found the problem, I had a similar problem on my 79 CX 500 Custom, just like his Goldwing, it to had a wire on the ignition broke. I am also presently working on a 81 GL 1100 I, so it is nice to see that another problem posted has been fixed and I can add it to my electrical trouble shooting list.

I don't think I will get to travel to Texas this Summer, but I hope to get to travel further out and away from my present base of operation in Reno, Nevada, so I will be checking back at the end of winter to see who may be on or near my route. I have a few, well maybe more than a few, living in Oklahoma and parts of Texas, So I should be out an about I hope.

OH sorry, I wanted to say, do as much as you can on your GW as you can, Dealers and some mechanics can really gaug your pocket book, although some independent mechanics are fairly reasonable, if you have the money to spend. Good luck and I hope you get on the road before to long.

glcxrider :coollep:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.