Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Calling all guru's:

I need to replace the stock grips on my 93 Aspy. I am pretty sure I have the ones I want picked out but am open for suggestions. Looking at the foam type, no real brand picked out.

Reason for change: I have large hands and with my new gloves while riding my throttle hand gets pretty tired hangin on.

What style/kind of grips do you have?

What is the best method of getting the old ones off without tearing them up?

What kind of adhesive do you use when putting the new ones on?

Thanks in advance gents....

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

Do not use any type of adhesive it is completely unnecessary and will make life miserable if you need to change the grips again. If you must use something use soapy water. It will lubricate the situation making it easier to get them on and will be sticky when it dries, then all you need do to remove them is squirt a bit of water in to loosen them up again.

As for getting the old ones off. If they are stuck on really bad. like if some dunderhead used glue in the past, pull off the controls and use a long thin screw drive to shove down in there between the grip and handle bar, squirt some wd40 in there give them a twist or two and they will slide right off. Wipe away the wd40 with a clean rag before installation of new grips.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

I haven't done it myself but have been told to use compressed air to remove the OEM grips. Get a blow gun with a small tip that you can work under the edge of the grip. Possibly even in conjuction with a few squirts of WD40 to loosen them up. As soon as I decide which grips I want I'm going to give it a try.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I'll be changing out my original grips within a week of two also. And I was wondering if the compressed air trick works on the 1500's. And where do you shoot the air in?

Anyone have the answer to that??

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I just used a long, thin bladed screwdriver, inserted through the small hole on the end of the grips. I worked it around the bar(under the old grips) and sprayed a little WD40 through the hole, up along the shaft of the screwdriver. I then worked the screwdriver further up along the shaft of the handlebar untill I had worked it all the way around the bar, freeing up all of the grip.. Might need another little shot of WD40 and then twist the grips and they slid right off in one piece.

Clean the handlebars good befor installing new grips. I just used some Brake Cleaner as a lube to install the new grips, but you have to work fast as it dries fast. Liquid soap, hairspray works as well.

Dusty

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Figured it would be a straight forward technique, but just checking.

Thanks again Ken.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

A long skinny flat blade screwdriver in the hole at the end of the grip, work it around to loosen it up and a little shot of compressed air they slid right off. I have the Kuryakyn Iso-Grips. Just installed them 3 nights ago. I really liked them on my V-Stars, like 'em so far on the 'wing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.