Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:12red:Good day to eveyone,

At present I have a standard charcoal seat on my 1992 1500 Interstate and I was wondering if anyone can guide me in the direction of a more comfortable seat that will bolt straight onto the bike.My wife and I both find after an hour or so riding our nether regions start to ache. We tend to stop and walk around after about an hourand it seems totake forever to get anywhere.

Regards to all,

JohnS

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Lots of people buy the Corbins saddles, but I personally find them even harder than the stock saddle. Road Sofa do a nice soft saddle, but none of these aftermarket saddles come cheap.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

The Corbin seats are more firm, but once broken in they are more comfortable in the long run. A seat that's too soft will really hurt on a long run.

Last Sunday I rode almost 800 miles (about 16 hours in the saddle). The only part of my body that did NOT hurt was my butt! The Corbin seats are much more reasonable than people think... for my custom leathar seat they only charged me $220.

http://www.corbin.com/honda/gwmenu.shtml

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

http://www.saddlemen.com/roadsofa_goldwing.html

Road Sofa is the way to go. A seat with perfect contours and well balanced padding. I recommend the velour cover, looks good and does not cause your cheekers to sweat a river.

I also put in the long hauls and my Road Sofa is more comfortable than the sofa in my home.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

The Road Sofa is much more comfy from the minute you fit one. Corbins are too hard and I'm not keen on waiting months for it to "break in". A cheaper alternative is the Air Rider gel pads.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

axelwik - How long did it take to break-in? Also, did you order online? I have a 77 GL1000 and am looking at the same seat you have pictured. Sounds like you're happy with it...

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Keefer wrote:
axelwik - How long did it take to break-in? Also, did you order online? I have a 77 GL1000 and am looking at the same seat you have pictured. Sounds like you're happy with it...
A few months ago I was riding north along the California coast on my way back from Death Valley. After almost a week in the saddle the stock seat had to go!Since I was in the neighborhood, I gave the Corbin folks a call and they squeezed me into their schedule, even though they already had 12 others (they normally do 6 ride-in appointments a day)!

I think they accomodated me because I was actually touring on my bike and not one of those dorks who tours witha fancy bike in a fancy trailer behind a gas-guzzling pickup.

Even though I hadn't had a bath in days, I looked like a wreck, the bike looked like hell, and I probably smelled pretty ripe I got the best treatment anyone could ask for.

While they madethe seat I got a tour of the factory and actually met the people who made my seat. It was pretty neat - from the seamstress who sewed the leather to the guys molding the pan and foam to the guy who finished it, they all had a smile and wanted to know where I had been, where I was going, and how Iwas doingit.

To top it all off they even fed me lunch atthe factory cafe!

Anyway, the seat was an instant improvement over the stock seat, and it got better with time. Breaking it in properlytookaround 1000 miles. Now I haveover 3000 miles on it and it feels great. Last Sunday I rode almost 800 miles - 16 hours in the saddle, and the only part of me thatwas NOTsore was my butt!

I've ridden many bikes with stock seats and some with aftermarket seats. This seat is the most comfortable I've ever had.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.