Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 86 GL1200I had a Cycle Sound system installed when I bought it. There is a Sony car-type AM/FM cassette receiver mounted in the middle of the dash, with speakers on either side. It's a nice set up, but the radio has failed.The radio is fitted into several plastic units. One is secured to the base of thehousing with two "well-nuts", and the face of the radio is secured to the face of the housingwith the nuts on the metal stalks for the volume and tuning knobs. I want to replace the radio with a marine unit, but I'm not sure that I can secure it since the new receivers don't have the metal stalks for volume and tuning. Has anyone tried this? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hi!

First of all WELCOME to the board. Yours among great company and knowledge here.

To get to your question,

Can you please post some pictures of the unit, including the unit installed, the unit out, the brackets involve and any other pictures you can. A picture is worth 10,000 words here.

Thanks,

Tim.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

I did it. I took a utility knife and cut the square box out so a den system will fit inplace of the original dial unit. I will get a couple of photos for you if you want. Just pm me your email address. Be very careful cutting it.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

Welcome NSJOE - :jumper:

You'll find this a great forum for more than Goldwing knowledge.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the welcome and the replies. I will get some photos as quickly as I can, but the bike is currently stored elsewhere. I had the radio out a few years ago and I remember the stalks were coming through holes in the plastic housing and were secured there. If I cut out the rectangular shape of the new radio, I don't know how to secure the radio. The new DIN units have a cage, but I was hoping someone else had already tackled how to secure the cage to the dash/fairing. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hi again,

The DIN style system do have a mounting cage to them. They are very easy to mount. You simply insert them into the opening that you have until the opening meets the front flange on the cage. Then you take and bend out these little triangle tabs that are on the cage. They act as an inner flange and prevent the cage from coming out.

Please excuse my messy picture. It really is not that hard.

Tim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Well that does sound pretty easy. Any idea if there is a way to secure the base of the cage to take some of the weight off the dash? I am familiar with the tabs on the DIN cage. No need to apologize for the diagram, it's very clear. Thank you again.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hi,

Well, there are several ways you can do this.Some are a bit more complicated then others. Most times you don't need to as a regular dash will take the weight.

How was the other radio mounted in? Was there a strap in the back where the back end of the radio was mounted? Could you use some high density foam (foam block) under the cage? If you do this then you would have to make sure that any vent holes in the stereo it's self were not covered.

This is where a picture is worth it's weight in gold.

I removed my cassette player and custom a system there and in the front dash where the CB/volt meter/Radio station display was. I gutted everything.

Send pictures when you can.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Great pictures and a very nice job. I like the weatherproof cover, but I was thinking of using a marine grade unit to keep water out....any ideas about that?

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hi nsjoe,

Thanks for the compliment!

I used the marine faceplate because the stereo is mounted vertical not horizontal. The marine faceplate and its sealing gasket make it 99% water tight. (I never say 100%) I have hit it good a few times with the garden hose with out a failure

I thought about using a marine grade deck, and have installed a few in the past for people. However, the marine decks are not all that water tight. They are water resistant. Sort of splash proof. The ones I have seen and worked with would not havestood up to what I would have wanted it to do for me.

I wanted the SD card reader and the USB port. The more buttons and switches and front end hookups you have, the more points of failure you have.

With the marine face plate I have, the dome simply "pops off" to gain full access to the stereo. That way if you have it mounted in a traditional horizontal way, you don't have to lift up the dome every time you go to adjust something.

It's all what your comfortable with.

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I like the SD card reader and the USB port. Mine will be mounted horizontally in the middle of the dash. There is a little water there if I'm riding in the rain, but not much. The current radio has a cassette deck and water enters through the load door. I'm leaning towards a marine unit with an aux jack to take an MP3 player. Still looking at options.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

nsjoe,

The main reason why I gotthis unit was for the SD card. They are cheap and come in a variety of sizes. I have a 4 gb in mine. We have a tonne of music in there.

Don't forget that you may want to change the speakers at the same time. The new stereo will put out more power than they can handle and blow them. In some cases, this can damage the stereo.

I helped a friend with his and noticed that the speaker was stamped with "25 watts max". In reality, this means 10 watts or less continuous.

Let us know what you end up doing and take lots of pictures for us! Everyone loves pictures!! :)

Good luck and just ask if you have more questions.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

nsjoe wrote:
Great pictures and a very nice job. I like the weatherproof cover, but I was thinking of using a marine grade unit to keep water out....any ideas about that?
I just ordered a marine grade unit for my 87. It will be a nice upgrade from the original.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Which radio did you decide on 4ever? My speakers have already been replaced once, but I'll probably switch again with the new radio. I'll try for pics of what I'm starting with this week. I really appreciate the suggestions and help. Joe

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

nsjoe wrote:
Which radio did you decide on 4ever? My speakers have already been replaced once, but I'll probably switch again with the new radio. I'll try for pics of what I'm starting with this week. I really appreciate the suggestions and help. Joe
I ended up picking up a Sony off of E-bay for $135. Not a high grade unit,by any means, but I think it will work well. (I hope). I'll take some pictures during install, and post them, (if I remember how).

Marty

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Mr Magic Fingers wrote:
I have an 82 Aspencade. I posted what I replaced it with in this thread. Check it out. It may help you with ideas. It does CD's, USB stick, SD and has an AUX input to boot!

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/49466.html

Tim
Got a question for you. How much of the stock equipment that came on the bike do you still have and can you part with any of it? I'm still in need of the cb control panel that mounts on the left side of the radio controller in the lower left fairing and the cb gauge that goes in the gauge pod.

Once I have these 2 parts I'll have a complete clarion 2 system to install on my 82 minus the cassette player(don't need it). I plan to use the connection for the cassette player into the distribution box for an aux input for a gps unit.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

My bike is an Interstate. It didn't have the original Clarion system installed. The first owner put in a Cycle Sound system that went into the middle of the dash. I will be updating that. The factory radio location in the left faring is vacant, so I don't have any of those parts. I know they are hard to come by. Maybe Marty has them. Pics to follow. Joe

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster / Michael

I don't really have anything left of the old system with the exception of the head unit. I will be keeping that as I will at some pointcomplete a custom intercom and then do a custom job on a CB or a GMRS type radio.

I am currently working on building, from scratch, an in-helmet intercom system coupled into the stereo system I installed earlier.

I junked all of the old original stereo system when I first got the bike. Rodents had chewed through every cable in the fairing and the different modules were toast.

Sorry about that. They were not worth saving and at the time I did not think that anyone else would want them. That was before I joined this forum. :doh:

I would have gladly given them away.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

Maybe Marty has them. Pics to follow. Joe

Nope. I have an Interstate too.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.