Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
That should have been on my to do list 2 winters ago when i put a new rear tire on. Also a new u-joint boot to replace the 6yr old one that just developed an inch long split. Black silicone works great until the new one gets installed.

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
air cyl seal

Decided to rebuild the air cyl. I didn't quite have it sitting right when i blew the air into it to get the seal out and see which way the new one goes back in. oops!!

Books says lip side goes toward case which would be left side i think in the pic. Looks like the protruding end with the visible spring(left side in the pic) goes into the cyl first. The OD of that side is SMALLER also and would start easier into the case according to common sense but not sure if i have enough of that anymore.

There is a spring on right side also but burried down in there.

When i looked at it before disassembly it sure seemed like the protruding spring side was toward the outside, but my eyes might be seeing things. Has never been apart as far as i know.

Anybody remember for sure?
Search doesn't work anymore on this forum like it used to. Type in air cylinder and it gives me hundreds of threads for anything but that.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
Thanks DriveRider for the input.

Looks like 2 lips on the right side close together and then a big gap to the left lip.
Funny how the left OD is smaller and would be easier to install that way.

I called a local place that sells seals and brgs. and he said usually the protruding lip with the more exposed spring goes toward the oil and pressure.

Wish i wouldn't have gotten in such a big hurry and bounced that sucker out of my pan up against the wall. Haste makes waste.
Everything was going too good up until that point.

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
Good memory.
I did notice that. It's just that the Honda manual confused me when it said to fit the lip toward the case which meant that end in first to me.
Time to go to my real job.

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
I stopped at a farm equipment place and asked them which way to put the seal and the service manager said the left side out he would think.

I remember someone saying they destroyed their keeper ring trying to get it out. I ordered 2 but didn't really need them.
To get the keeper ring out, you have to push down on the back up ring very hard with a screwdriver and work side to side and you will feel it move down. It only has to move enough to clear the keeper ring. I had a new keeper ring so I used it on the very end and didn't replace the other one buried down in there..

I made a spacer at work so i could put it on top of that thin lip of the back up ring. The hardest part was to get the seal started straight and keep it straight. Lube it up good first. The best way was just put a screwdriver on top of my spacer that was on top of the back up ring, than tap it with a hammer and worked my way side to side. Not really a pressed fit but just tight. Put a little oil into the cylinder so that when i applied 40-50psi of air the seal would move along with the back up ring all the way to the keeper ring and past like it was before. It wouldn't do that until i put maybe an ounce into the cylinder. I just wanted to make sure it was locked in before i installed it back on the bike.

Wasn't all that bad to do.

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
to GL1500 Aspencade1995:
The GL1500 originally had one hydraulic shock with spring on the left side and one air cylinder with no spring on right side to adjust for load and ride height.

I guess you mean that you only have the shock on the left side and nothing on the right? You could get a used air cylinder to put back on the right if your shock is good yet on the left or get a pair of Progressive 416's(i believe is the number) and those are air adjustable shocks.

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
My left shock wasn't leaking when I replaced it years ago with a Progressive 450IAS(No longer available) but the spring was apparently weak after all those years of use. Too bad Progressive quit making them. Now with Wing off the center stand and just WEIGHT OF BIKE i only need 3-4psi when solo riding and with 130# wife I only need to adjust to 7-8psi with just weight of bike. I should just check it on the center stand but always seem to forget to do that before i get going.

I think with OEM left shock you do need the air cylinder to keep from bottoming out.

Most people do have their air cylinder pressure pretty high to compensate for the OEM left shock. You'll have to ask what is normal PSI for other guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.