Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
to GL1500 Aspencade1995:
The GL1500 originally had one hydraulic shock with spring on the left side and one air cylinder with no spring on right side to adjust for load and ride height.

I guess you mean that you only have the shock on the left side and nothing on the right? You could get a used air cylinder to put back on the right if your shock is good yet on the left or get a pair of Progressive 416's(i believe is the number) and those are air adjustable shocks.
Yes. I have Hydraulic shock on left and air shock on right side. The hydraulic shock is not strong enough to hold weight of my bike if air one is leaking. That happened with me in past. Air shock is replaced now. Is like that with every one or just means that hydraulic shock is gone?

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
My left shock wasn't leaking when I replaced it years ago with a Progressive 450IAS(No longer available) but the spring was apparently weak after all those years of use. Too bad Progressive quit making them. Now with Wing off the center stand and just WEIGHT OF BIKE i only need 3-4psi when solo riding and with 130# wife I only need to adjust to 7-8psi with just weight of bike. I should just check it on the center stand but always seem to forget to do that before i get going.

I think with OEM left shock you do need the air cylinder to keep from bottoming out.

Most people do have their air cylinder pressure pretty high to compensate for the OEM left shock. You'll have to ask what is normal PSI for other guys.

·
Registered
1999 GL1500SE
286 Posts
I have 'slightly used' pair of shocks, OEM type off my 92 1500. If anyone is interested send me a message. I replaced with 416's and have no use for them. Probably just need rebuild? Don't leak fluid.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.