Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Replacing Forks on a 1981 GL1100

6K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  rb7632 
#1 ·
imported post

:baffled:

I have had a problem with the forks on my 1981 GoldWing GL1100. They leak badly. I had new seals put in but they still will not hold oil or air.

:shakehead:

I have been trying to buy a replacement set and have gotten conflicting information. I was told originally that the forks from a GL1000 would fit just fine. That has not turned out to be true. The GL1000 forks are a smaller diameter and have different fittings.

:doh:

I have sold the set of 1000 forks I bought ande now have a set that are supposed to be from a 1983 GL1100 that came complete with the triple tree, fork brace and top clamps and hoses. The only thing is they are longer than the ones that came off the bike. I'm not even sure it had 1100 forks to begin with now. These new forks have a label on them that says TRAC on the bottom outside leg of the fork.

:headbanger:

My question is how do I know that I have the right forks? AND, if these are in fact from a 1983 GL1100 will they fit my '81?

:11ltblue:

See less See more
#2 ·
imported post

The 83 gl1100 has a trac fork anti dive system on it. They should plug and play with a 81. I have a 81 and put a 83 forks on her the tubes were from a 82 but they matched perfect with the 81 forks. How much of a diff in size is there? I have been running with 83 forks on my 81 for 20+yrsworks fine.

#4 ·
imported post

The 83 forks appear to be about 6 inches longer but it could be because the old 81 forks are in such bad shape.

#6 ·
imported post

you have the right forks now , but you will need the same 83 model brakes wheel and disc rotor to make it work easily.

#9 ·
imported post

Because of all the differences in the front brakes on the GL1100, I'd say the only safe bet is '80 or '81 forks.

To put '83 forks on, you'll need a lot more stuff for the brakes, like calipers. No guarantee that the '83 forks and '83 calipers will line up with the '81 brake discs either. '83 and '81 fenders are shaped differently as well.

#10 ·
imported post

I used my 81 fender on the 83 front forks and front tire. Just needed to trim the inner fender bracket tabs off because the 83 tire is a wider 120/90/ instead of 81 stock 110/90 .other than that the fender fits fine.

#11 ·
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
Because of all the differences in the front brakes on the GL1100, I'd say the only safe bet is '80 or '81 forks.

To put '83 forks on, you'll need a lot more stuff for the brakes, like calipers. No guarantee that the '83 forks and '83 calipers will line up with the '81 brake discs either. '83 and '81 fenders are shaped differently as well.
You will definitely have to use the entire 83 frontend ,wheels calipers rotors everything except the master ,( Triple trees are the same, leave them alone! find an 82 model master to use and you need the front hoses off any year 1100 BUT the 83 model , they have a linked system with a smaller master for the front as it only acctuates the front left caliper. the pedal acctuates the rear and the right front.
This set up will give you the best frontend and brakes for a gl1100. without a whole lot of expense and headache. I have an 80 model with this setup, doesn't run anymore but I plan to use this as soon as I can take her down a few days , hopefully this summer I can do the swap!

#12 ·
imported post

The easiest way out for you will be to get your present forks rebuilt, but if you have already started gathering parts for the swap then go for it.

#13 ·
imported post

picasso wrote:
The easiest way out for you will be to get your present forks rebuilt, but if you have already started gathering parts for the swap then go for it.
get with Frenchy at the Crescent Moon, he will confirm what I say and help you get what you do not have, Tell him "the chef " sent you.

#14 ·
imported post

Haven't been able to find the other parts so I will be getting rid of the 83 forks and looking for some 80-81 forks. I had my current forks rebuilt once and the left one still leaks and neither will hold air.

Thanks for all the info, it has been very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.