Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I removed the final drive as a part of getting new tires and lubing the splines etc, and noticed that there is some oil that appears to be leaking past the pinion seal (part 20 on the microfiche) and into the area where the final drive slides into the rear of the propeller shaft. There wasn't a lot of oil in there, maybe a table spoon or so mixed in with the grease. My question is about replacing this seal. I found one on Ebay, but looking at the service manual it would appear that there may be some special tools I don't have involved in the replacement of this seal. Plus setting the pinion gear preload looks a bit tricky. Has anyone replaced this seal and if so how much of a pain was it? I'm starting to think I should just throw some Lucas hub oil in the rear end and not even mess with this seal for now until I can afford to have someone at a shop with the right tools do it and set up the preload for me.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

You won't need special tools. I've replaced the seal in several GL1100s and it was easy to do. I didn't worry about preload either as I was only replacing seals and just put everything back the same way I took it apart.

·
1,698 Posts
imported post

Just mark the possition of the nut , and when you have replaced the seal, reasemble to the same position ,"feel" the preload and adjust from there (it depends on how old the bearing is , but 10 to 45 degree more tigthen on the nut will normally do ).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.