Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
imported post

Hey, BW, very nice write-up! These are the stock GL1100 shocks, correct? Where did you get the replacement springs from, and do you have a PN? I can't seem to find them listed on Progressive's website. Any help would be appreciated!

Good wrenchin'
Todd

·
Premium Member
211 Posts

·
Premium Member
169 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

I was able to get my springs from one of the local Honda dealerships. They are Progressive dealers and even matched the price from BikeBandit.

Unfortunately they had to order them in, however they had the springs a couple of days before they had the seals for me.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
imported post

Compressing the springs with this configuration was dead easy....my only problem now is getting the oil seal out!
Does that have to be done first as i cant see any way of extracting it without doing serious damage to the shroud?
Do I need to reassemble and connect up to an air source to blow it out?
my other question is .... What apart from the oil seal holds it together when the top is unscrewed? I may be thinking about this too much and cant see why it doesn't pull apart????

·
Village Whack Job...
7,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
imported post

Removing the seals is fairly easy, but very messy. You want to remove the seals before compressing the shock to remove the springs. For the sake of the pictures I used a shock that had already been disassembled and cleaned.

First drain as much of the oil out as you can by turning the shock upside down. You won't get it all out but the more you get to drain out less of a mess it will make.

First step to getting the seals out is to remove the retaining ring with ring pliers.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
imported post

Then stick a screwdriver or something through the bottom mount to prevent the seal and other parts from flyign all over the place.

I'd strongly recommend doing the next couple of steps outside or maybe in a large drain pan.

Cover the shock with several rags to help minimize splatter.
I only used one because this shock has no oil in it because it had been cleaned already, I only put it back together in order to get pictures for this write up.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
imported post

Then use a small controlled blast of compressed air to push the seal and other parts out of the shock. Get a good firm grip on the shock while doing this. I don't have a grip on the shock because I had to hold the camera!

The parts will blow out onto the shaft. Pay close attention to how they come out so you know how to put them back.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
imported post

When installing the new seal use a length of 1.5 inch PVC tubing to drive the seal in place. Place the large outer washer between the new seal and the PVC tubing. I don't have a picture of this step, but it's pretty easy to figure out with out one.

Once the seals are out, then you put the shock int he rig compress it and remove the head. Once the head is removed and you decompress the shock it will pretty much fall apart.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the info Broke Winger...Will reassemble and blow out the seal tonight. Hopefully all will go ok :)

·
Village Whack Job...
7,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
imported post

I was just wondering, if I reorganized this writeup to start with the procedure to remove the oils seals, and cleaned it up a bit, would it be good enough to be put in the Biker's Workshop?

·
Village Whack Job...
7,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
According to BikeBandit Progressive Spring kit D does not fit the '82 Interstate. They are wrong. The kit fits ALL GL1100 models. Honda used the exact same Showa shocks for All the GL1100's

Not sure if it is the same kit for the GL1200's or not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
shock rebuild

broke winger, just got my shocks apart using your compression tool. worked great. only problem is the rubber bushing on the piston rod is completely deteriated, its like bubble gum. are these avalible or should i leave it out.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
If you are using Progressive Suspension replacement springs just toss it you won't need it.

It's only purpose is to soften the impact if you bottom out, which won't happen if you use Progresssive springs.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.