Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi All, I am going to be replacing my rear tire in the next few days, due to puncture :(, while I'm there I need to replace myfinal drive seal as it has been dribbling for some time now

I did some research here and found some good info but couldn'd find anywhere saying if there is more than the one drive seal, part # 91261-ME9-005

the oil is always dripping off the bottom of the drive housing just below the fill plug

and will drip onto the wheel

when I look at pictures of the final drive it looks like there might be 2 seals and maybe a gasket or o-ring on the large outer housing

I'm working on a 86 Aspy

I plane to clean and put fresh moly on the splines and grease the u-joint while Im there as well

So are there more seals/o-rings in addition to the above stated seal

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Those are the main seals. The big one on the wheel side is probably the leaker.

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for
yep from looking at the breakdown I would be inclined to agree that the larger seal is where it's coming from

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,757 Posts
imported post

The book calls for special tools and I think you should get into the unit and see what you have before you start buying parts. It may just be a drive shaft seal too. Very easy to replace.

Anything beyond that, you should have the Honda manual and the special tools. Stu Oltman replaced a seal in mine, without the special tools, and it leaks much worse than before.

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Remind me not to ask Stu for help with mine :grin:

I think for a few bucks I will get just the 2 main seals and o-ring
I would rather have the parts before I start than not have them
If it's something I can't do I have a local shop I trust I can take it to him and already have the parts :cheesygrin:
I'm going for minimum downtime as this is a daily rider for me.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Do they have the tool? I haven't found anyshop that does.
Dennis, he want's to replace the seals on the crown gear not the pinion so no special tools are required.

AJ1200, I'm not sure where you found that part number but the one in the cover should be
91265-MG9-003
and the one in the case should be
91261-MG9-003

Also, the cover has no mechanical seal between it and the case so Honda recommends using a liquid sealant. In fact that maybe the source of your leak not the seal.

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Ken I found that part # in another thread here while searching for info on this repair, I may have wrote it down wrong, or it was wront in the post I found
Yes I was just looking at the outer seals and there is an oring on a collar in the hub, I figured I would replace it too, however it is possible that the cover is all thats leaking. Like I said I would rather spend 30 bucks and have the parts than have to wait for them after the bike is torn down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.