Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all:

Does anyone know where you can buy replacement wheels for a 1985 GL1200 Interstate?

Mine are badly corroded and I have had no success at finding custom chrome replacements.

Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

If it is stock wheels you want, there have ben plenty of them on ebay recently. Chrome ones might be harder to find as I don't remember the chrome wheel makers doing anything for models older than the GL1500.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
imported post

Have them powder coated .Just had mine done in light gold for my 1500:cool:

as i ride all year round and got fed up with polishing them every weekend. As for

chipping we tested a washer that was coated at the same time andit diden't even scratch when we hit it with a 2 pound hammer.:shock:

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thank you for your replies.

I have done them the old way -lots of elbow grease 3 days worth. Mothers mag and aluminum polish for rim sides and spokes. Gloss black automotive paint for remainder of rim. Looks like new.

I will finish the rear sometime this week my fingers are sore right now.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

That's the way to go. Much more satisfying when you see that shine coming up. :)

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
imported post

depends if you ride all year round

not very satisfying when there covered in rot ,water and salt marks every day

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

glennuk wrote:
depends if you ride all year round

not very satisfying when there covered in rot ,water and salt marks every day
That's true Glenn. But there are loads of products out there that can be applied to keep the wheel surface sealed. As a last resort you can clearcoat the wheels after cleaning, if you don't like cleaning them every week.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
imported post

Tried most with out much luck.They can't cope with snow,grit,rain ,mud ,etc this is normal daily routine for my wing.Must sayI love the wheels when buffed to a chrome like finnish but for all year round bike it's not practicaland the gold powder coatlooks cool to.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Even powder coating will fall off from the road salt, but it lasts a lot lkonger than clearcoat. Salt is the #1 enemy of wheels and engine casings.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
imported post

I found a seller on ebay that parts out bikes and deals in lots of Goldwing parts. You can find them by going to ebay.com and typing in the item number: 4539706130 in the search box. This is a wheel for a GL 1100 but it will get you to their selling site on ebay and then you can click on the link on the right side of the page where it says: "Fran Auto and Cycle Sales" or "View Sellers Other Items". They encourage you to call them to find out if they have what you want (305) 805-7770. There are 4 additional wheels for sale on ebay for GL 1200's offered by other sellers. Once you are logged on to ebay you will need to navigate to Motorcycle Parts and then type in GL 1200 wheel in the search box. If you are not familiar with ebay I can help you get to where the wheels are for sale. Sometimes you can get good deals on ebay, but you need to be careful and ask lots of questions before bidding to ensure you are getting what you want.
Regards, Peter
86 GL 1200 SEI

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

BRowan wrote:
Even powder coating will fall off from the road salt, but it lasts a lot lkonger than clearcoat. Salt is the #1 enemy of wheels and engine casings.
Nothing lasts on aluminum wheels. You would need to apply special etching primer first, this never falls off and grips like hell to aluminum and then you apply the paint over that. Just applying clearcoat or other paint straight on aluminum is a compromise, it will eventually just flake off no matter what.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
imported post

Thats why I had my wheels completely bead blasted with special plastic shot.

then powder coated gold then powder coated with clear then bake on.

the only wayI could damage the washer that was coated at the same time was to bend it to 45deg and all that happend was a split in the powder coat.

but if water gets to the alloy then nothing in the worldwill stay put.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.