Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

It seems the re-build kits for the petcocks are hard to find or no longer available. I would rather not spend $130 for a new piece of aluminum casting, so has anyone replaced theirs with the 12 volt shut off valve?

Will it fit where the petcock is currently mounted? If not where did you mount it?

What are the best connectors to use for the wire connections?

Any other issues when using this valve?

Paul

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I just ordered a rebuild kit from Wexy. He posted the kits yesterday on the for sale items thread.

I'll put this reto fit off for now. I hope this kit last a long time.

So, far she's running fine..just a fuel smell for now.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

You can replace the valve with an inline fuel shutoff. Just put one on mine. jcwhitney.com still list the valve rebuid kit.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

This is what I have and it works without fail.
You need to get the 1/4" hose connections at Home Depot or somewhere like that.
I got this one because of its small size:
http://www.dan-marc.com/79-afc11112.html
It will fit just about anywhere you like (the tray where the vacuum unit sits now is the safest place).
Another option is this one - at 1/4" orifice and although larger it will not restrict the flow at all.
http://www.dan-marc.com/79-afc1231412.html
Most of the time I do not travel faster than 70-75 so I have never noticed any restriction of flow - but I am not saying that the 1/8" orifice doesn't restrict flow because I seriously have not tested it. The one I have is the same one they use on the Valk's.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Pic of your install would be nice. I have bypassed my rebuilt petcock. I did a sloppy
job on the build. Then finally got it back together properly. Back in june went over
a bump and at idle felt like it was starving for fuel. Soooo, bypassed it. I dont want to
put that thing back in line because I do not trust it. How did you wire in the electric one?
Thanks
David

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

TXRLGL1500
I powered a relay from the aux supply to a switch. The switch is not functional until you turn the key on. If you leave the switch off, the bike will not get any fuel. One heck of a good anti-theft device because it is not standard on these bikes and no one knows how to get the bike running again. It doesn't go very far with out the fuel turned on. So I no longer panic about forgetting the keys in the bike.
I do not have a camera and had a heck of a time getting some pictures for Rudy to show him how the trunk lid repair kit he sold me looked (By the way that is one heck of a repair kit).
Anyway - the valve sits in the tray just like the petcock did when it was there. I am thinking of moving it down to the fuel tank but haven't gotten around to it yet. The hardest part was wiring in the relay and switch (I am a bit challenged electrically). The battery side of the relay never gets to the switch so the switch itself should last a very long time.
I would have to run someone down again to get some pictures. (Not really a lot to see though). Maybe I can find my neighbor out again this weekend and ask him to borrow his phone again (What else are neighbors for right?).
Oh I almost forgot to tell you. You have to plug the vacuum line that goes to the petcock once you get this valve put in. I figure one less vacuum hose can't be all bad.
Just so you know you have company concerning luck with the rebuild of the vacuum petcock units. I had to rebuild mine twice before I got it to open and seal properly. Maybe that's why there aren't many rebuild kits left - too many people buying multiple kits to get them to work properly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.